What's new

Help setting up RP91 (1 Viewer)

Rick Pay

Stunt Coordinator
Just received the RP 91 progressive scan player, hooked up to my 47wx49 panny via component cables and the picture looks worse in progressive mode than interlaced. What are the steps or tweaks I need to do when first setting up this player. I set dvd player to 16x9 and projection tv in the user setups.

greg_t

Screenwriter
What exactly looks worse? One thing you are supposed to do is set the black level to "darker" on the 91 when using component. Did you try that. You may also need to re-calibrate using Avia or Video Essentials. Other than that, I'm not aware of any other tweaks.

Rick Pay

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the response, I'll try that setting. The picture looks like my old A-120 Panny but when I press the progressive button the screen goes dark for a few seconds and then the picture is displayed with a lot of artifacts and graininess. It's really unwatchable in progressive mode and had to switch back to interlaced to watch a movie last night. I'll keep playing around with the user settings and read the FAQ.

JohnnyG

Screenwriter
You might have a bad player. I had one returned from a customer with a problem like you describe. One scene that I recall would show this problem particularly well. In the first Austin Powers movie, there's a scene where all the 'evil' people are sitting in Dr. Evil's board room. There's a camera shot from behind Dr. Evil's bald head. In progressive mode, you would see concentric circles instead of smooth gradients.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
this website has lots of info about this player.
Link Removed

Josh Lowe

Screenwriter
In the player's setup menu make sure it's set to "Direct View TV" rather than "Rear Projection TV". The RP91 does excessive dithering when set to RPTV. That's what causes the banding/ringing you describe. I had the same problem, initially.

I don't know what kind of RPTV they had in mind when they configured those presets.. My guess would be something pretty old.

Set your TV's "Video NR" to ON. Disable SVM. Set the player to Direct View, 16:9 aspect. In progressive mode run it either in C1/Auto2 or the User settings and Auto2. Bumping up the vertical sharpness +1 or +2 can sharpen the picture but sometimes you will see edge artifacts. I ended up turning it off.

FWIW - When I was done tweaking the RP91 the image was much better than when I started off. It took a lot of time messing with settings on both the TV and DVD player in Avia.

When I got my RP82, I found it was pretty much set up optimally right out of the box.

JohnnyG

Screenwriter
The RP91 does excessive dithering when set to RPTV. That's what causes the banding/ringing you describe. I had the same problem, initially
This was definitely not the problem with the unit I'm talking about. The problem was painfully obvious to me, but it took half an hour with a couple of Panasonic service techs before they finally saw the problem (after that, they saw it everywhere like I did). I believe they first replaced the video processing board, but that didn't fix it. If I remember correctly, the main board was at fault. This is most certainly not a common problem but I obviously have no idea of the severity of Rick's issue and I just thought I'd post my experience with this one particular unit.

Rick Pay

Stunt Coordinator
Very disappointed with this brand new RP91k progressive scan player. Hooked up thru component cables with my Panny PT47wx49 and whenever I go into progressive mode the picture shimmers and has a bleached-like effect. I've tried changing all of the settings but nothing seems to work. Interlaced viewing if fine. Read the FAQ and tried all of the advice from here, looks like a got a lemon.

Rick Pay

Stunt Coordinator
Another strange happening, when I am in progressive mode and click the action button to go into the setup menu, the screen is displayed in 4:3 with the sidebars. If I turn off progressive mode the widescreen view appears on my 47 inch Panny. Any dvd has shimmering all over the picture in progressive mode.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks