Help! RP91 with a Panny PT47wx49

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Rick Pay, Sep 4, 2002.

1. Rick Pay

Rick Pay Stunt Coordinator

Apr 22, 2002
    Returned one RP91 and just received a new one, same problem...Recently received my RP91. Have it connected thru component cables to a PT47wx49 47 in Panny.
    Major problem!! When progressive scan is activated, I can often see a very intrusive form of 'noise'.
    This shows up as very small white 'snow' (Hate that term!!) on certain areas of the image.
    Definitely follows object lines in the image (i.e., they may show up as a vertical line of white dots next to a vertical post, or they may follow the line of the top of a couch, etc.)
    I have tried the MPEG noise reduction and many trials of the noise reductions and other options in the user settings, to no avail.
    Two key points:
    1. I can often see it in the 'tabs' on the RP91 setup screen. ('Action' on the remote)So not related to DVD content.
    2. ALWAYS disappears when I turn off progressive scan on the RP91.
    This set is 3 months old, and I have never seen this before during my many hours of interlaced viewing using my old DVD player. This is the first progressive signal it has seen.
    Main question:
    Suspect the set (how it is handling progressive input)?
    Suspect the DVD player (how it is outputting progressive)?
    Suggestions? Ideas? Anyone? Help?

My problem must be with the tv, could it be something as simple as the cables (using AR Perfomance series) or am I missing something?
  2. SeanWillis

SeanWillis Agent

Aug 31, 2002
    I would try a different progressive scan DVD player altogether and see if the problem still exists. If it does then you know it's your monitor that's the problem. Also, like you said, you could try changing the cables, although it doesn't sound like they're the problem.

3. Sean Patrick

Sean Patrick Supporting Actor

Apr 22, 1999
    i would bet it's either your cables or your tv, although if it doesn't show the problem in non-progressive mode with the same cables it's probably your tv having a problem with the progressive signal...the chances of getting 2 RP91's with this same problem is slim. I don't have this problem with mine and haven't heard of this issue before.
  4. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

Sep 6, 2000
    What mind of cables are you using? Hopefully they are of decent quality (ie. shielded better than the standard audio RCA cables you find bundled with VCRs and DVD players).