What's new

Help: Receiver suggestion?? (1 Viewer)

StevenB

Agent
Hello,

I am looking for a new audio/video receiver for my HTS and need some suggestions because I am not so sure where to start. Here is a rough idea of what I am looking for:

*DTS-ES 6.1 compatable

*THX and Ultra compatable

*Prologic

*5.1 surround

*100-200 Watts per channel

*Ability to set speakers to large or small, neither dependent on the other (i.e. the one I have now must have surrounds set to large if I want the surround center to be set to large also, don't like this)

*Crossovers down to 60

This is a VERY rough idea, but maybe some advice can lead me in the right direction so I can narrow a few things down. My speakers are Klipsch Reference 7's all around if that matters. I am hearing so many different brands, I don't know who makes a reliable receiver (Marantz, Pioneer, Sony, Denon, Onkyo?). Thanks very much for any help.

Sincerely,

Steve

PS. Price isn't a huge issue, but I'd rather keep it under $2500

StevenB

Agent
Wow, with all the intellects in this forum, I am surprised I got so many resonses :) What is a pre-pro? Should I bag the receiver and go separates?

Steve

Kevin Alexander

Screenwriter
IMO, and w/ your budget, I think Harman Kardon's flagship receiver will be a perfect match. It's called the AVR8000 and it has all of the features that you just described. You can get it for $1600 online. In addition to the features that you listed the HK will give you Pro Logic 2 processing and Logic 7 processing taken from Harman International's high-end Lexicon pre/pro line.

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member
Wow, with all the intellects in this forum, I am surprised I got so many resonses :)
Steven, I think the intellects of the forum were a little tired. This forum sees this same question more than once each week - and, at times, more than once in a day. When I was looking for a receiver, I could have posted a question "what should I buy?" and, hopefully, 5 or 10 people would have responded giving me some advice. Instead, I hit several forums over a 2-3 week period and read up on as much as I could. I was then able to make my own decision on what to buy. However, if I had limited myself to a single post that I had started, I would have received many different responses: "buy H/K because of x"; "buy Yamaha because of z"; "buy Onkyo because of a" - I think you get the picture.

In the end, I learned a whole lot more than I ever could have imagined based on all of the great sites containing lots and lots of great information.

Since a posting has already recommended the H/K 8000, I'll throw another one out there: How about the Denon 4802?

Todd Schnell

Second Unit
Steven,
With a bit of searching around & if you want to push your budget to the limit, the Pioneer Elite VSX-49TX THX Ultra2 A/V Receiver is among the best there is to offer in a receiver right now.
The Denon 5803 fits here as well, but is a bit more pricey.
Check out the Pioneer here.
http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/Pi...,21018,00.html
Don't let the list price scare you, it can be found for much less.
Or if the THX thing is not an absolute must, how about the Outlaw 950 pre-pro & 5-7 channel amp?
Do a search here on these for tons of info.
Todd

Eric_Lakes

Agent
Steven,

For $2500 you are much better off going separates. Pre-Pro means Pre-Amp/Processor in other words, separates. Receivers are for the mass consumer market. Manafactures have to update the product line every year to keep prices high and retain consumer interest. Search this forum or any other HT forum and see how may posts are concerning Receivers that are 2 years old. You spend $2500 on a Receiver that is "Obsolete" the day you get it. Almost like buying a PC. Do you spend top top dollars on the newest PC(Receiver) or do you buy what you need? Personally, I would spend $1000 on a near top-of-the-line Receiver, then if it needs a little more tweeking, I would spend the other $1500 an an external amp. That way if you like upgrading to the newest format, all you spend is another $1000 every other year on a near top-of-the-line Receiver. Instead of spending another $2500 on a top-of-the-line Receiver.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks