What's new

Help: Procedure for tuning HT (1 Viewer)

Matthew Perry

Stunt Coordinator
I am looking for the best way to tune my HT sound.

I uunderstand Avia and VE are a very good bonus, but in order to tune the sound, what additional equipment do i need to use? SPL meter?

I find alot of times my subwoofer is either two overwhelming and on other times it is not enough. I need to get everything tuned proerly and that is the reason for this post.

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards,

Matt

ColinM

Senior HTF Member
SPL meter's are on sale at Rat Shak for $30.

(RS has got to be wondering, "WTF!! Why are these selling so well??")

I have VE, works great.

After those are in the house, just hold the meter where your head would be when watching the tube. Tripods are good for this.

Set all of your speakers to small, set the sub trim (rec.'s trim) to zero (center).

If your volume reads in -db, bring it up to -0db. If not, you'll have to play the pink noise cycle, and bring the sound meter up to 75db (VE) or 85db (Avia) on the first speaker that plays, and then mark it somehow for reference. So if it were starting on the left main, crank the volume till the left main plays 75/85 db on the meter. Tweak all the rest of the speakers using the TRIM associated with each channel to bring them to 75/85 on the meter.

If you CAN read the volume control in -db's, just play the tones and use each channel's TRIM to bring the needle to 75 or 85. Not all will be the same. (mine go +3,-3,+3, +4, +2, master = 0db).

When you get to the sub, (powered, right?) while the sub tone plays, bring the sub-AMP'S volume up from low till the needle hovers around 75 or 85 on the meter. I say bring it up from low because you will have the receiver's volume cranked pretty good while doing all of this. The last thing you want is the sub's amp up all the way when the tone hits...trust me. Start low and bring it up.

As far as the sub being finicky, who knows. Just realize that after you calibrate, you have it where it should be, and any defects are recorded that way, or you need to find a new spot for the sub in the room. Some places tend to make certain tones louder or dissappear altogether.

A lot, sorry. Im sure this will raise more questions, it can be daunting. Once you get it, it's elementary.

Don't be discouraged, and take your time.

- CM

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks