What's new

HELP!!!! PROBLEMS WITH RECEIVER AND SUB!!! (1 Viewer)

PetersenJ

Grip
Real Name
Jason
I am trying to get my sub to work and I can not figure it out. I have a Denon AVR - 886 receiver and a RBH Sub MS-8.1. I am notable to get any bass from my sub I don't know if I am just not setting it up right or what if someone could help me that would be great. Thanks in advance.

Seth=L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Seth L
Make sure the subwoofer output on the receiver is set to on. Also be sure that double bass is on. If you are listening to any material without a discrete LFE channel i.e. dolby digital or DTS, and the receiver is set to LFE only, then it will not come on with any analog sources.

ways to check to the subwoofer, turn the volume all the way down and connect it to a source like a cd player connected by RCA jacks. very gradually turn the gain up on the sub to see if it will detect the signal and play it. So if it works the problem can only originate from 2 places now, the cable or the receiver.

PetersenJ

Grip
Real Name
Jason
I don't think the sub has a volume controll. and what does LFE stand for? on the back of the receiver there is not just a input for a sub it says all kinds of other stuff I don't know what it all means I am not very good at all this new high tech stuff I am used to the one sub input but on the back of this receiver there is like 6 to 8 and I just don't get it.

FeisalK

Screenwriter
LFE= low frequency effects = sub

the LFE/subwoofer out fromt he receiver should connect to the RCA input on the sub

also note that some receivers will not route bass to the subwoofer if the main speakers (front L/R) are set to "LARGE"

there are also receivers which the bass routing is configurable (SUB only, BOTH mains and sub, MAINS only)

Seth=L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Seth L
Your sub does have volume control. It will be on the rear of the sub. There may be 2 or 3 knobs on the back. It will have one that says Gain or volume, one that says low pass filter or crossover frequency or maybe x-over frequency, and the third one will say phase or phase control. The gain or volume will turn the subwoofer up and down as far as how load it can go. The Phase control can be tricky I would keep it a 0 degrees for now. The crossover frequency should be set were your front speakers cannot play bass accurately or were the receiver's internal crossover is set.

The Denon has the Subwoofer Pre out right above your speaker terminals and below the component video switching (the green, red, blue RCA jacks are the Component video. Connect a sub cable to the Subwoofer Pre out. I would use a y-adapter with one female RCA on one end (like the RCA jacks on the receiver) and two male RCA connectors at the other. The order of connections should go as follows. Receiver subwoofer Pre out to subwoofer cable to y-adapter female end to subwoofer were you will connect the two male of the y-adapter to the line-level inputs on the subwoofer.

If you have any more questions, just post them.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks