Help please with FP

Discussion in 'Displays' started by John Alvarez, Jul 11, 2005.

1. John Alvarez

John Alvarez Screenwriter

I have been saying for a while that I was going top get an LCD RP. I was going to spend about 7k. After talking with the wife we have decided next year to build a second floor and add about 2000 sq. ft. . Half of it will be a theater/game room with a bar and pool table etc.. I have now decided to get a FP. I want to use it temporarily with a pull down screen in the exsisting living room. I also want to be able to use it outside on a 20 foot or so wide screen for a backyard theater nights. I don';t know a lot about FP. What should I look for as far as lumens,contrast ratio/zoom etc...Should I look for something with changeable lenses? I'm willing to spend the 7k I was going to use on the LCDRP.

2. Victor Ferguson

Victor Ferguson Stunt Coordinator

Might want to take a look at BenQ PE8700 and InFocus ScreenPlay 7210.

3. John Alvarez

Come on guys. With all the FP experience here someone else has to have an opinion. How about a book to read so I can figure out what's important?

4. PaulHeroy

PaulHeroy Stunt Coordinator

I would suggest reading up on FP in a few places.

Websites with reviews and also some general articles on FP:

Secrets of Hi Fi & Home Theater
    Audioholics
    Projector Central
    Ultimate AV Mag
    Projector Reviews

There's also a huge amount of discussion and info at the AVS FPs over $3500 and up forum.

In your price range, there are a couple of DLP FPs that seem to be the "hot" units for slightly different setups: Optoma H79, and Infocus 7210. The IF is brighter and will be better for a really large screen or rooms with some ambient light, the Optoma better for a well light controlled room to get maximum black level and contrast. An alternative to DLP is LCOS; Canon's SX50, paired with a good scaler/deinterlacer could be an attractive setup with the main drawback being relatively poor black level.

5. John Alvarez

Thanks guy's. That was a huge help Paul.