What's new

Best 36" or so FP. Budget of $700. Please help. (1 Viewer)

Mitch_T

Auditioning
Hey all. I bought my tv about 3 years ago and researched my butt off and since then, I've lost touch as to what's the new thing and who's good and who isn't.

A friend of mine has asked me for some help in deciding what tv he should get. He just bought an armoire that can fit up to 42". He isn't into electronics and home theater like I am, so his request is that he has a clear, nice picture, reliable, good sound and most importantly, within his limited price range, which is maxed at about $700. Will be used for mainly cable tv viewing, sports, some PS2 and DVD's.

What are my options at this price? I'm looking for a FP, HDTV ready, cable card option.

I appreciate any and all help.

Thanks.

GeorgeAB

Supporting Actor
Real Name
G. Alan Brown
Your options at that price and size are: a cheap TV with commensurate performance quality. My suggestion is to save a little longer and get a better TV that will perform in a manner that will satisfy over the long haul. However, a non-critical, casual viewer, who knows nothing about video quality, may very well be satisfied with a such a cheap TV. After all, Visio was the largest selling flat panel TV brand in the US at one point not long ago.

Best regards and beautiful pictures,
G. Alan Brown, President
CinemaQuest, Inc.

"Advancing the art and science of electronic imaging"

Mitch_T

Auditioning
I did look at the 37" Vizio and it looked fairly decent.

I also came across the Panny TH42PX80U 42" plasma for $999, but CC has any tv $999 and up 24 months no interest, so I think this would be the best bet.

Have read nothing but outstanding reviews on this tv and it seems like a winner.

Thanks for the help though.

GeorgeAB

Supporting Actor
Real Name
G. Alan Brown
Most consumers don't know what to look for in a digital flat panel TV picture, don't have much to view on it on the sales floor that could be revealing about flaws, and are new to DTV and HDTV in general. When they get it home and live with it for a few months, the flaws become evident.

I did some installation work for a customer who bought a Visio 50" plasma from Costco. Even after explaining and demonstrating to him in detail how bad the picture was, and recommending that he return it for another sample or model, he wouldn't. Most people will live with mediocrity rather than spend a little more money and/or time to get decent performance.

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Mitch:

I agree that the Panasonic TH42PX80U is a great set for the money. And with CC and Best Buy, etc. having 24 month financing you can even spend a little more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maltby
Recent bookmarks