Help placing new speakers

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by vasia, Jun 20, 2004.

1. vasia

vasia Stunt Coordinator

Hi guys,
    After lengthy considerations, I have gotten Monitor AUdio Silver 8s to go with my Marantz SR8330. Yesterday I have hooked them up using Sound King 12 ga wire and I have couple of questions. I should also mention that I have wall to wall carpet in the living room.
    1) The subfloor in my living room is a bit uneven and the speakers are not standing perfectly vertically (not at the right angle to the floor and not quite parallel to one another). The right speaker is a bit tilted to the front and the left is tilted s bit sideways according to the bubble level. Should I use the level and play around with the spikes to try to perfectly level speakers?
    2) The bass of the speakers seem a bit tamer than what I remember at the dealer. The speakers do not sound bright, just a bit less punchy. I realize that S8s require long break-in (>60 hr), but I though it mostly tames gold tweeter. Would break-in affect bass as well and in which way?

2. vasia

vasia Stunt Coordinator

Hi guys,
    After lengthy considerations, I have gotten Monitor AUdio Silver 8s to go with my Marantz SR8330. Yesterday I have hooked them up using Sound King 12 ga wire and I have couple of questions. I should also mention that I have wall to wall carpet in the living room.
    1) The subfloor in my living room is a bit uneven and the speakers are not standing perfectly vertically (not at the right angle to the floor and not quite parallel to one another). The right speaker is a bit tilted to the front and the left is tilted s bit sideways according to the bubble level. Should I use the level and play around with the spikes to try to perfectly level speakers?
    2) The bass of the speakers seem a bit tamer than what I remember at the dealer. The speakers do not sound bright, just a bit less punchy. I realize that S8s require long break-in (>60 hr), but I though it mostly tames gold tweeter. Would break-in affect bass as well and in which way?

3. PaulDA

PaulDA Cinematographer

Paul
    I would try to level the speakers via spikes or other means, within reason (no need to break out the micrometer). As for bass response, this varies greatly from room to room and your room's acoustic properties will have a far larger effect on your bass response than any (theoretical) break-in period will have.

4. PaulDA

PaulDA Cinematographer

Paul
    I would try to level the speakers via spikes or other means, within reason (no need to break out the micrometer). As for bass response, this varies greatly from room to room and your room's acoustic properties will have a far larger effect on your bass response than any (theoretical) break-in period will have.

5. vasia

vasia Stunt Coordinator

PaulDA,
    Thanks for the suggestion. I'll try leveling the speakers a bit.

6. vasia

vasia Stunt Coordinator

PaulDA,
    Thanks for the suggestion. I'll try leveling the speakers a bit.