What's new

HELP! Panasonic RP91 just died on me! (1 Viewer)

Craig J. Helmreich

Auditioning
I ordered a Panasonic RP91 from ecost on 9/10/01 and have been messing around with DVD-A. The only DVD-V that I played on it was an all region disc. Tonight I pop in Godfather and it says "No Play" on the display. The TV Screen says that I am attempting to play a disc that is not approved in my region. (Note: Godfather Disc says Region 1 and back of player says Region 1.) I assume that I have a unit that has bad software in it.
Question: Is there a global reset command for this player?
Help.
Craig J. Helmreich

Joseph S

Senior HTF Member
Mine died today too.
frown.gif
All resets seem fruitless.

Henry W

Stunt Coordinator
Reset procedure is as follows: turn power to standby then turn back on or alternatively turn power to standby, disconnect AC cord, then reconnect AC cord, and turn power back on.
I've had some problem discs but the problem has always been with the disc. I have rened the same movie on another disc and it played fine.
Best regards-Henry
------------------

Craig J. Helmreich

Auditioning
I have tried 10 R 1 discs and non worked, so I called Panasonic this morning.
They said nothing could be done and that I could mail the unit to Ohio. They promised in 30 to 45 days I would receive a working DVD player. What a pain.
I hope E-cost is better/quicker although I doubt they offer to do anything for me since I purchased the unit 33 days ago and received it approximately 30 days ago. Their 30 day policy seems strict, although they have not responded to my e-mail inquiries thus far.
Craig J. Helmreich

David Susilo

Screenwriter
30 to 45 days? That's suck. When I sent in my CD recorder to be fixed at Yamaha Canada, their turnaround time (including shipping time, both ways) was only 6 business days!

Craig J. Helmreich

Auditioning
E-Cost.com will not help since I ordered the unit 32 days before I noticed the problem. Their 30 day return policy is not 30 days from the day you receive the item, but rather thirty days from when they ship the item.
It took 7 emails from them requesting information to process my request before they stated their "policy". I will never do business with these jokers again. Crappy customer service never built a long term customer relationship ecost.
I wonder if my Panasonic bombed becuase it came from this outfit...
Craig

Thomas_Berg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
i might be in the market for one of these '91s, but i'm getting kinda worried seeing all these threads about RP91s breaking. is there some chronic problem here or are they all isolated??
i'm having to decide between the Panny and the new Toshiba SD5700 and want to be sure my purchase will last me!
------------------
-Thomas
My HT

Henry W

Stunt Coordinator
Get a RP91 with an extended warranty. I had the same difficulty that you do so I opted for a three year extended warranty at $49 to alleviate my fears.
Best regards-Henry
------------------

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
The reliability problems associated with the DVD-RP91 are extremely disappointing. It's not like Matsushita (parent company of Panasonic) has never made a DVD player before. Furthermore, the 'RP91 is a second-generation DVD-Audio player. I have the Technics DVD-A10 first-generation DVD-Audio player and have had no problems with it. I've also heard of no problems associated with the 'A10 or Panasonic DVD-A7 (the other Matsushita first-generation model). I hope this problem with the 'RP91 is not a case of a company cheapening a second-generation component after putting its best foot forward with the first-generation offerings. I certainly hope you all get your 'RP91 players repaired in short order.
------------------
My:
HT Pics ; Equipment List ; DVD Collection ; LD Collection
KeithH: Saving the Home Theater World Before Bedtime

Andrew P

Second Unit
I have to disagree with Keith on this issue. From what ive heard it doenst sound like the failure rate on this player is greater than any other. I have had mine since May from ecost with no problems whatsoever.
Andy

Gruson

Second Unit
I am glad I ended up not upgrading to one of these.
My Toshiba 6200 has never had one problem in over a year now.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks