What's new

Help newbie... Denon 1802, 1803 or Sony DE-985 (1 Viewer)

Albert_L

Agent
I have no idea really what I am looking for since I haven't been researching this stuff for a few years now. I am looking for a new receiver and am considering the Denon 1802, Denon 1803 when it comes out or the Sony DE-985 in silver. My max budget is $400 and I have heard that 6th Ave has the 1802 for about $350 and Oades has the Sony for $385. I just started reading this forum and have heard great things about Denon especially the 3802 but that is way out of my range. I have also heard that the DE series is not that good on this forum but then most of guys are into the high end stuff.

I am just really looking for the best bang for the buck and don't really need all the bells and whistles. This is replacing a Kenwood VR-209 (one of the first models to have DD back in the day). I bought this and a Kenwood complete system like 5 years ago so anything now will be a nice upgrade.

The reason I am looking for a new receiver is that I just got a new tv (Wega 27" FV-300) and dvd player (DVP-NS315) and my parents actually have my Kenwood system now. The reason I am considering Sony is because my tv and dvd player are Sony and it would look great to have my entertainment system all in silver. I also have a Sony card which makes buying Sony stuff a little cheaper and the receiver would end up costing me about $300. The reason I am considering the Denon 1802 (I could wait for the 1803 as long as it is in budget range) receiver is because of the great reviews on this forum. So please help me. The two look comparable and in fact the Sony seems to have better specs. It is also 6.1 rather than 5.1.

I live in a studio apartment about 550 sq ft. Will be using it primarily for movies, tv and music. I was planning on getting Polk Audio RM7500 satellite speakers with my new system before I found this forum. Goodguys has this model left without the sub for about $400. Looks like a good deal to me but of course I am new to this stuff and would love any suggestions. I don't know what speakers work best with what receiver so your help would be greatly appreciated. My budget for surround sound speakers plus sub is $400 - $600. I do not mind waiting and putting this system together. Probably looking at a 5.1 system to save money / maybe 6.1 in a few months.

Thanks in advance for all the help and suggestions.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Cross the 985 off your list. The DE line does not compare. Specs may be deceiving, I can tell you the Denon will easily outperform the Sony in terms of power and sound reproduction. I would also consider the H/K AVR125 and the Marantz SR4200 in this price range, and try to go listen to them. Don't worry about having all Sony gear, that is not as useful as you might think.
The RM7500 without the sub is actually a bit of a blessing in disguise, as you can then get a better sub than what it came with. With your budget though, you can start out by offering them less for the set, say $350 and see if they will take it, then pick up a Sony SA-WM40 for around $150 and keep the price to around $500. The Sony is not the best sub, but it is damn good for the price.
An alternative would be the JBL NSP-1 from J&R.com for $249 (last time I checked), which will perform about the same as the RM7500: see this thread.

Albert_L

Agent
Really, the Sony doesn't even compare. I don't really need all the components to be Sony. It would have been an esthetically appealing sight but bang for buck is more important. The JBL are now only $200 so that is intriguing. The goodguys store that I went to is a clearance center that gets rid of older models and excess inventory for other stores. Pretty good deals but they have no returns. The guy told me $400 for the Polk RM7500 and I am sure he would have gone lower. Now are the RM7500 satellites worth a $150 more than those JBL's. I was thinking of an Energy sub since they are well priced and I have heard good reviews about them. This is a budget system and my entertainment center won't be in that large of a room (studio about 550 sq. ft.)

Don Morrison

Agent
The JBL NSP1 system with a sub is almost unbeatable at the price. Try doing a search on this forum for "JBL NSP1" or something like that and read up ont them a bit. THen just go and use your ears!

I am in the same boat with the receiver. I am waiting on the Denon 1803 to come out in late Aug/early Sept. and see what it sounds like. Right now, it looks very similar to tehe 2802, the spec sheet on it is exactly the same I think, or close to the same anyway.

Some may disagree with me, but I don't think you can beat $200 for the sound that the NSP1 puts out!!

Good luck...

Joe Hsu

Supporting Actor
Hey Albert, I live in an apartment during the school year, and I'm looking at the 1802...I've been looking. for like 6 months. :) And 6ave has it for $325, supposedly, and from the 3802 thread, you could always try calling "Chris" and asking if he'll throw shipping in. That would make an awesome deal. I'm trying to see if anybody wants to sell theirs here first, since I'm sure a lot of people are upgrading this time of year.
And to answer your question, I'd stick with Denon, as the Sony's just don't sound as good (The DE line).

Albert_L

Agent
I think I am going to pick up the Denon and from reading on this forum the 1803 seems to be about a month away so I will wait for that one. Either pick up that one at about $325 or the 1802 if that has dropped any further. Looks like I am going to order the JBL's too unless I can convince goodguys to sell me the 7500 for $300. Unfortunately, I will have speakers but no receiver until the 1803 comes out.

DarrinH

Second Unit
I am another waiting on the Denon 1803. Made my mind up so as soon as that sucker is out its mine. :)

Albert_L

Agent
How is the Pioneer VSX D850S. Bestbuy has it on clearance for about $260 plus 3 free surrond sound speakers this week (KLH). Sounds tempting but how good is the receiver compared to the Sony and Denon. I would probably just give the speakers to a friend.

Paul Clarke

Supporting Actor
The 850S is the only non-Elite Pioneer I would ever consider buying. And I would much prefer it over the new 811S. It has been fairly tested here and in Britain and is well liked. You have to decide for yourself about the sound.
$260 sounds like a steal but there's still no OSD.:frowning:

Greg Haynes

Supporting Actor
I'll give another vote for the Denon 1802 or 1803 if you can wait. Denon just makes very good receivers even at their lowest end model. I definitly recommend not buying any Sony DE series receivers. The quality that goes into them is pretty poor.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks