What's new

HELP!!! My cell phone just got water in it!! (1 Viewer)

Van Patton

Second Unit
My cell phone got water in it today and now it is acting very strange! I have a nokia 3360 and it will come on with the power button but none of the buttons will work when i press and itll start flickering then go off. I heard that if you put in and bathe it in rubbing alcohol then it will go back to normal.

THANKS!

Leila Dougan

Screenwriter
If no one here has any ideas, you can try posting your question over at www.howardforums.com (make sure your pop-up blocker is activated, though).

For sure you'll get tons of responses. If you don't feel like posting, then just search. Your problem, unforunately, is not unique.

Bill Harada

Stunt Coordinator
A friend of mine accidentally dropped his cell into a cup of coffee while driving to work. The LCD still worked but the main board was fried. He was able to buy a same model cell off eBay that had the opposite problem (broken LCD, good main board) cheap and did a parts swap to get his phone working again. Unfortunately he lost all his contact info that was stored in the phone...over 200 numbers!

A couple o weeks later he ended up buying one of the new Sony-Ericson phones with the Bluetooth and camera. And he now has all his contacts backed up and synced on his laptop.

As for yours, the water displacment bath will sometimes work if the unit is not powered on while wet. Otherwise the chance of something being shorted is very high. Since you've already stated that you've tried turning it on there's a good chance that some bit of electronics has been hosed (excuse the pun). Best bet now would be to disassemble the phone and use a can of compressed air to blow out the bulk of the water, then use a blow drier to finish the job of drying the parts. Put it back to gether and give it a whirl.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Good advice given above.

Make sure it's dry before you try to switch it on again. If it was pure water it fell into (not sugered, or any salt), perhaps there won't be a residue. And if it wasn't already killed when it got wet, or when it was switched on, it may still work.

Cees

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.