What's new

Best way to compare cell phone plans between Providers? (1 Viewer)

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Premium
Ambassador
Real Name
Tony D.
My iPhone XS is acting up and my wife and I are caught up on our contracts.
I’m just about to start the find a new cell phone and plan journey.

Is there a good web site or an easy to understand way to find all the options for buying a new phone and seeing th plans offered besides going into these phone stores?

Looks like Verizon is offering $800+ for a new plan including a trade in.

att has some somewent confusing offers.

Apple has options to buy the phones and plans there.

Anyone here have expert advise on buying new opines and providers?

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
No advice on comparison sites, but make sure to check out plans for older customers. Some of the carriers have cheaper plans for people 55 and older. We moved to such a plan with Sprint (now TMobile), which saved us money and got us unlimited data, text and voice - - plus free international calling when we are traveling out of the country.

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
We had AT&T for years and after they shut off the cell tower close to where we live, leaving us with no signal, we switched to Verizon and have been happy with our service.

DaveF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
The last time I seriously comparison shopped wireless plans, I came away with an "abandon all hope ye who enter..." nihilim on it. :)

The Wirecutter has an article on best wireless plans from Fall 2020. But given promos change every few months, it can't give insight in the particulars of current new-customer incentives.

Jason Goodmanson

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jason
If you can afford to pay outright for your phones, or have ones that are unlocked, your best deals are to look at anyone other than Sprint/ATT/Verizon/T-Mobile.

I switched to Xfinity about two years ago - I pay $30 a month for two phones - we share 3gb of data which isn't much but we are on wi-fi almost 90% of the time and have only gone over twice in almost two years. Also, when we switched to Xfinity, we got two brand new iPhones for $250 off (paid via monthly credits.) Even with phone payments, I was saving about 40% compared to AT&T with no payments.

However, I want to switch my ISP so I'll lose having Xfinity mobile, so in October when my phones are paid off, I'll be switching to Mint Wireless. $30 a month for two phones, 4gb data, no overages, unlimited text/calling (remember when you used to pay per minute/text??) It's the same price as Xfinity, but I won't get charged for overages AND I will also be saving about $25 a month on internet that is MUCH better (1gb up/down, versus 800down/18up - and no limits because eff off Xfinity!)

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quirkyorc
Recent bookmarks