What's new

Help me with my HT Upgrade! (1 Viewer)

Josh Campbell

Stunt Coordinator
Mods, I hope this is in the right section, if not the please move it to the appropriate one

Hi all,

Longtime browser, first time poster. I am posting in the hopes of getting some opinions and ideas from my fellow HTF'ers. Here is my situation. I currently have a very mediocre system, although it ain't that bad I guess for a cheap system, I will list the components below. I will come into a decent amount of money on my upcoming birthday as part of an inheritance. The wife has agreed to let me have $6,000 to upgrade my HT. The rest is going towards other home improvements, paying off debts and the kids college fund.

What I am looking for is ideas on my upgrades, I am all set on a TV, just got a new RCA digital and I am happy with it. I also prefer receivers over separates for now. I don't have a lot of free time and prefer a plug and play aspect to my electronics. So I need ideas on upgrades on speakers, DVD player, CD player, subwoofer, receiver if needed. I know many of you have had experience with this so I was looking to narrow my search based on some of your recommendations. On speakers, I have heard the Klipsh SP-1 series and was impressed to give an idea of my listening preferences. Thanks in advance for all the replies

Here is my current "El-cheapo" system:

RCA 36" Digital -cant remember the Model number right now

Sony DE-945 Receiver

Panasonic RV-30 DVD Player via S-video cable and optical out

Sony CDP-CE 375 - 5 CD changer via optical out

Sony SLV-N50 VCR

Sony SA-WM40 Subwoofer

Sony SS-MF515 for rears and fronts

Sony SS-CN495H Center Channel.

Monster cables all around.

Thanks again,

Josh

Alex Prosak

Supporting Actor
Well, let's see how we can spend your $6k. How about:
Denon 3802 receiver - $1000
Denon DVD-1600 DVD player - $550 (progressive scan, Sage chipset, buffer to reduce effects of layer changes, can sub as CD player too)
SVS 20-39PCi subwoofer - $550 + shipping (~$100?)
Personally, Klipsch speakers are too bright for me so I'll recommend something I prefer:
B&W 603 S3 (mains) - $1000
B&W 601 S3 (rear) - $450
B&W LCR600 (center) - $500
B&W LCR60 (surround back) - $350
That comes to $4400. Figure 10% for cables, this brings you to $4840.
Since you've still got some money left, how about a Rega Planet 2000 CD player at $950. Or go with a SVS 20-39CS+ sub with a Sampson amp instead of the 20-39PCi.
Use the extra to get some good DVDs to show off your new system.:D
Have fun,
Alex

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Josh, Welcome to HTF!:)
First, you came to the wrong place for "plug and play" advice. Most of us love playing, but we will try to contain our enthusiasm. :)
A lot of people love Paradigm speakers. They do a very good job for both music and movies. Worth looking for a local dealer and doing an audition.
If you can pull speakers into the room a bit, bipolar speakers can really give you a home-theater sound. My speakers are Definitive Technologies bipolars and these would also be worth a listen if you can find a local dealer.
One additional piece of equipment I'd recommend is a dish system with recording capability. I have the Dish Network PVR501 with 30 hours of recording. This is the only piece of equipment I have that I ever heard my wife brag about. The ability to pause live shows and record is too wonderful to describe. For new subscribers, they are almost giving the stuff away for about $100.
Good luck.

Josh Campbell

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the replies guys, i am grateful for the advice.

Bob, i too love to play around, but i only have about 10 free hours a week to use my sytem, and i would rather just watch/listen then putter around making sure everyting is too my satisfaction. Before I got married and had kids, i was big on the separates and had all adcom components with Theil speakers. I would fiddle around constantly to make sure everything was just right. Unfortunately they were stolen and i wasn't insured for them so I had to settle for what i have now. Hopefully when the kids grow a little older, I will go back to separates as i do think they offer better sound.

My area is very small, so Def techs are out of the question as i can't pull them out enough for them to be effective. I will audition some Paradigms though. I also can't get a dish for 2 reasons, the wife dont want one and also where i live i don't have a clear view to the skyline that is necessary. I am surround my 100 foot trees all around, my house is in virtual darkness even during the day. But one day...

Thanks,

Josh

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks