What's new

Help me PLEASE to pick a replacement for my 34HFX84! (1 Viewer)

Rolando

Screenwriter
The short version is after waiting months to get my 34HFX84 it came with a geometry issue. Sent out for repair and a week later I am told cannot be repair I will get a replacement.

However I just informed by the dealer that it is discontinued and they are out of stock. WHAT DO I GET?

As some of you know it took me like 6 months of research last year to finally pick this unit. now I need to pick an equivalent model in the next 3 to 4 hours. ARRRRGH!!!!!

Seriously though the only model available here in Canada I almost went for was the Sony 34" I believe the model was XS955. However could not justify the $1000 (Canadian) difference.

What I want is an HDTV 34" to 54" with kick ass picture, under $2000 able to accept 720p, hopefully have 2 HDMI inputs and must be black or have a black border.

I have been a die hard of CRT and I think I want to stick to that. 34" is as big as they get so it would be choice #1. However not sure I can get a 34" equivalent to my 34HFX84 without paying big Sony prices.

Next option might be a 51" CRT RPTV. I would go for a 44" DLP but I can't bring myself to like the picture and ignore the pixelations.

Is there a panel TV out there that will floor me?

last quick question. is there a 1080p unit out yet?

thanks!!!

John S

Senior HTF Member
The 51" sounds good. I'm still all about screen size as much as anything for over impact.

In your price range with the inputs you want, it will be tough.

1080p is out and several thousand $$$$$ still.

If you not looked, look at the Sony LCD RP's, for better budget the Panasonic LCD RP's but admittedly I don't find them quite as nice as the Sony's, but still way impressive overall.

Rolando

Screenwriter
Store just called me to offer the panasonic CT34WX15 as a replacement for it. had not heard of it before today.

any comments?

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

Fairly equivalent performance to the Toshiba ... same tube afterall for one thing.

More blue out of box ... and may push reds more ...

regards

Rolando

Screenwriter
checked out the Panny site and a few other formus and cannot get an answer on this: anyone know if the CT34WX15 can accept a 720p input?

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
Don't know about the Panny and 720P. According to Consumer Reports the Panny is a notch below the Toshiba in HD picture quality, (same on DVD) and 2 notches below the Sony 34HS420 in HD and one notch below with DVD.

Michael TLV

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

Problem with consumer reports is that they don't calibrate their TV's when they evaluate them. They just twiddle knobs.

It has the same performance as the Toshiba when properly set up and better in some areas ... (like color decoder for instance)

Biggest issue with Panasonic tubes is usually the overly aggressive SVM feature.

Regards

Rolando

Screenwriter
can SVM be disabled in regular menu?

and how does it compare in terms of features?

Michael TLV

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

Movie modes ... usually disable the SVM ...

No idea on non image related features. Have to research that one yourself.

Regards

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
Michael

So the fact that CR rates the following Sony models as tops is all related to Sony doing more factory calibration than the other brands and not anything intrinsic to the sets? From other reputable posters the 34XBR960 is the best CRT available. Just a calibration issue?

KV-36HS420
KD-34XBR960
KD-34XS955
KV-34HS420
KV-32HS420
KV-30HS420
KD-30XS955
KV-27HS420
KLV-32M1
KDE-42XS955
KE-42M1
KP-51WS520
KP-57WS520

Rolando

Screenwriter
Hi guys, I have an update and I hope you can help.

Here are my choices from the store:

Either Take a Floor model 34HFX84 that they claim has only been on the floor for 2 months (I know, on all day on sports mode it's the equivalent of 6 months even if it's true) and get a $100 credit OR wait for a 34HF85.

what do you guys think?

have not heard much about 34HF85 and I know I did not want a 34HF84 which this is supposed to be equivalent too so...

which is the lesser of 2 evils?

Tony-L

Auditioning
I am wondering about the Toshiba 34hfx84. I was looking this past weekend and was told by an authorized distributor that they were not discontinued. I even questioned him on that after reading this forum. He stated he has not heard of them discontinuing this model, so I emailed Toshiba. The response from Toshiba USA also said the model was not disconinued. Who do I believe? I certainly don't think the people on this forum would by lying and I could not see why the manufacturer would lie either?

Rolando

Screenwriter
That is odd. It was a Toshiba rep who told me in Febuary that the model was discontinued. As far a I know there is no 34HFX out there with a manufactured date later than Feb 2005 and even that was a specail run to fill back orders.

This is Toshiba Canada though so YMMV.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks