What's new

Help me pic a DVD player from this list please. (1 Viewer)

Roger D

Agent
Can anyone recommend a particular up-converting DVD player?

I'd like to get an up-converting DVD player just for the superb picture quality, but am willing to get a regular player if it's recommended. I'd like to use the HDMI connection, but am open to component if it means best picture quality. I've narrowed my search down to a few players. Any suggestions?

I do not have a DVI connection so this may rule some out.

Bravo D2
Denon DVD 1910
Denon DVD 7555
Samsung HD 941
Samsung HD 841 - not too interested in this one.
Sony DVP NS975V
Toshiba SD 5970
Zenith DVB 318 - I've seen the posts on this one.

Jeff shark

Grip
I have a zenith 318, the DVI was poor looking on my sony 42" gwIII. (maybe bad cable it comes with? but many posts about this).

luckily I tried the component on 1080i, looked beautiful!
so I'll save my dvi for HDTV later.

Since you don't have DVI anyways, it's up to you if you have spare component, but the 318 looks good over those imo.

Ralph B

Supporting Actor
I own both the Sony 975 and the Zenith 318.

1080i over conponent on the zenith is very nice.

but the Sony blows it away over HDMI. detail is much better. overall just a better pic. depends what is important to you, component upscale or HDMI upscale. depends on your display.

you cant lose with either one.

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
My votes for the 318, I have one upscaling via component, just marvelous. I do plan to try the DVI to HDMI connection on my Sony 520 and hope I get a better result. The only thing I fear is HDCP interfering with the 318. My understanding that some movies will only allow you to go 480p via DVI or HDMI.

DavidDWright

Auditioning
I picked up the Samsung hd841 at Best Buy for a song...they were out of the Toshiba I wanted. I read a lot of bad things about the Samsung but on my Toshiba 51H84 I couldn't ask for a better picture, sure blew me away!

Ralph B

Supporting Actor
I agree!!!!

I just picked one up and I am shocked of the bad reviews this machine has got from members and the shootout!

I have a Sony XBR and this 841 Samsung is almost a good a picture(a bit softer than the Sony 975 1080i is sharper)but its not quite as good but close behind my Sony 975 1080i. was very suprised since it got such bad reviews. it is picky with dvd-r though.

Jose G

Supporting Actor
The Sony DVP NS975V is supposed to be a great unit with terrific sacd but be aware that The Perfect Vision (mar/april) states that there may be a compatibility issue with its hdmi/dvi port and non-sony displays. As noted all that say they love it seem to have it hooked up to Sony display and say it looks great. This is what The perfect vision said but couldn't get an image with their front projector.

Geo Gabor

Stunt Coordinator
I'm on my second Sony DVP NS975V since January. The DVI image quality is awesome on my Mits 65813. The first unit stopped reading discs after 6 weeks or so. Already the second unit is acting flakey - turning off when I hit Open, etc., so I'll probably be taking this one back as soon as it goes belly up.

A good unit, if you can find one that actually functions.

I haven't done any side-by-side comparisons, though.

ChuckSolo

Screenwriter
I've had the Samsung DVD HD841 now for almost a year and I can tell you that after I did the firmware upgrade on it, it has been a fantastic player. Althought the issue about it passing blacks is still valid, the other problems have been fixed and most of the machines being shipped now have the latest firmware installed. I love my player and anyone wanting a coste effective upscaling player that does SACD should really look into this.:)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks