What's new

Help me choose between these Speakers (1 Viewer)

Shaq Hoque

Auditioning
I have a HK AVR 135. I need to pick up some decent speakers. Nothing too fancy or expensive. I don't get to watch much tv anyways since I work 40hrs plus. Just something to get started for now for a halfway decent surround sound.

I work at Future Shop (sister store to Best Buy) and we have 2 floor standing packages that intrigue me. I can get staff discount so I will buy from there.

Quest QTheatreII 5.1 or Quest 6.1 Mystique

Since I'm new I can't post URLs to the futureshop website.

Thank you.

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Since you're in Canada you may want to find a Paradigm dealer and check out the Performance series. Good full size bookshelf speakers would offer much better performance than equivalently priced slim/low profile floorstanding speakers. Paradigm performance speakers (Titans and/or Atoms), matching center, and a sub like the Dayton 10" or 12" from www.partsexpress.com would most likely offer much better performance.

JeffLab

Stunt Coordinator
If you work at Futureshop, and get a discount, I think the Athena line of speakers is a much better value for the money.

PaulT

Supporting Actor
I would agree with that comment.

Shaq - the best thing would be to see if you can take some open box pairs of the speakers you are interested in home to listen to.

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
I missed the part about working at Futureshop. The Athenas would be a very good choice, especially w/ any discount you might have.

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
Agreed...avoid quest at all cost. Athena's are much better or try the PSB's that futureshop carries. You might also want to look at www.fluance.com for some decent budget speakers. They're a Canadain company with a decent reputation and their speakers sound better then the price would have you believe.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks