What's new

Please help me find replacement subs for old Realistic floor speakers (1 Viewer)

Chevy-SS

Auditioning
Real Name
Dave
I have two 35-year old Realistic floor speakers. They still look good and basically work fine. But the subs (four total) are all blown out from age & abuse. I am trying to find replacements, but since I'm not an audiophile, I hesitate to order replacement speakers without some advice from someone who knows more than me (likely just about everyone here, haha). I am looking for basic inexpensive replacement speakers, nothing fancy. The speakers hardly ever get used. I have included pics below.

The depth of each speaker is 3.75". The diameter of the hole in the speaker cabinet is 9".

If someone can point me in the right direction, it would be much appreciated. Thanks! Dave F. ;)

Attachments

• woofer1.JPG
    woofer1.JPG
    339.9 KB · Views: 70
  • woofer2.JPG
    woofer2.JPG
    264.9 KB · Views: 71
  • woofer3.JPG
    woofer3.JPG
    258.6 KB · Views: 74

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
16 ohms – those are somewhat unusual speakers. Your best bet would be to get a surround refoam repair kit from a vender like Parts Express. It’s relatively easy to do. The kit comes with new center cones – usually no need to replace those.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

jororaitchev

Auditioning
Real Name
Georgi Tsvetkov
Hello Dave, can you take a picture of these columns, I mean the cabinets? I want to know if it's worth upgrading them,35-year old Realistic floor speakers are a serious age-fact! .

Chevy-SS

Auditioning
Real Name
Dave
Thanks Wayne, the re-foam idea is probably the way to go. The speakers are Optimus T-200's. They worked really good for a lot of years and are all I'll ever need or use. I found a re-foam kit on eBay, so I'll try that.

Many thanks!!!!! Dave F.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
My only concern is the comment that the speakers have been abused. The drivers clearly need new surrounds, but if the voice coils are damaged, you may be out of luck on a fix for that. You can re-coil them yourself.

Chevy-SS

Auditioning
Real Name
Dave
My only concern is the comment that the speakers have been abused. The drivers clearly need new surrounds, but if the voice coils are damaged, you may be out of luck on a fix for that. You can re-coil them yourself.
John..... Interesting, is there any way to test the voice coils? Thank you

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
When the surrounds are completely shot, I'm not sure there's any easy way to determine that. If you have a multi-meter, you can connect it to the speaker terminals to see if there's any continuity, but that's not usually going to tell you.

You generally tell when you play the speakers. It can have something like a scraping sound, especially at certain frequencies. Or by carefully pushing the driver straight back. A fried coil will tend to give a distinct scraping sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks