What's new

Help me choose a TV. (1 Viewer)

Kent Wo

Agent
I'm pretty new to this HT business so I've been trying to do some research on what'll make me happy. I've decided on a direct view HD ~32" TV. I'd like a 16:9 set, but realized that I don't really watch enough movies in that format to justify spending the extra money for it. The sets that I've found at the local stores are listed below. I'm hoping to stay below the $1500 range, but if someone can convince me I may be willing to dish out more. The set will be used in a medium sized room (around 300-400sqft) for casual TV, DVD and video game usage. It would probably break down to 80%, 5%, 15%. I also don't have digital cable right now. Will analog make my TV look like crap?

Right now I have no other components, I'm starting the house from scratch and decided to get the TV first.

Choice 1: Panny CT32HX42 $1,299. I've heard some negative comments about this set, but the picture looked good in the store.

Choice 2: Sony KV32HS500 $1,299. I've searched for this set, and haven't found too many negative comments, besides something about the geometry. I'm not too sure what that is yet, but it is a little worrisome.

Choice 3: Panny CT34WX52 $1,999. I know its way above my price and I don't watch too many movies in that format, but it just looks so darn good.

Choice 4: Toshiba 32HF72 $1299.

I'd like other suggestions. I haven't found too many Toshiba's around so I can't really shop for those.

Thanks a lot.

BTW: Is there a major difference between Avia and VE? Or will either work just as well?

Gilbert ^P

Stunt Coordinator
i would choose the 34 wide. but all 3 sets ARE good. if i chose 4/3 than it would be the hs 500.

Gilbert ^P

Stunt Coordinator
well the with widescreen movies you're gonna get a bigger picture with the 34. So for future purposes such as HDTV, i think you will be much happier with the 34. 4:3 material will be smaller but you can stretch the image with it's capable Zoom modes. The 32 inch is great for 4:3 programming and all but when you watch DVD's in widescreen, the picture will be much smaller. IF you can swing a 36 inch 4:3 tv, than they are comparable with the 34 inch when viewing widescreen, and you get the best of both worlds. You may not have HDTV now but eventually we all will and with that in mind, you Will definatly be happier withh the 34 wide than a 32 4:3.

Other Models to consider:
RCA Scenium 34 ws $2200
Sony XBR 34 ws $2400
Toshiba 34 ws -$2099
Samsung 30 ws-$1000

If you can swing it:

36 inch Sony XBR- $2200
36 inch Toshiba - $1899
36 inch Panasonic- $$1799
36 inch Sony HS 500- $2000

All these set you can get probably $200-$300 dollars cheaper if you search(except the Samsung).

John-Miles

Screenwriter
Well personally i say get a toshiba if at all possible, they are simply the best out of sony panasonic and toshiba. of course that is my opinion, but i ahve viewed all three.

second i would get a 36 over a 34 any day, and i would probably get a 34 over a 32. but it all depends on price. I would not pay more for a 34" than i would for a 32" if they are the same price go wide, if not stay with 4:3

Gilbert ^P

Stunt Coordinator
I have it on mine but I honestly don't think it's gonna be a big issue right now. I mean when you look at the big Picture, there are TONS of sets out there (HDTV) with out it. In my opinion that's money to be made so i'm sure company's will come up with some type of adapter to work through the HD component inputs. But if you want to avoid that cost, Stick with the Sony.

Bill Will

Screenwriter
For what it's worth, RCA has a 34 inch model listed for sale at $1,800 on their website. Wonder if it can be had cheaper at stores or on the internet? like all their other products listed on their website can.

Gilbert ^P

Stunt Coordinator
I saw th 34 RCA at CC today and it looks good but for some reason, even if i bought it, i would still get the EW just for peace of mind. For mos DV's i wouldn't but with RCA, i hear their SD is horrible.

Bill Will

Screenwriter
Gilbert, how much was it? Also the lower priced 34 inch model RCA doesn't have 3:2 Pulldown & I agree with RCA you are taking a chance & better get the extended warranty. I saw a review of the set, can't remember where? & the 3:2 Pulldown & the uncalibrated picture was the only real drawbacks.

Dalila

Stunt Coordinator
Give the Mits 48311 a look. It's a 16X9 48" RPTV with a great picture.

You should be able to pick one up for about 1700 on-line even though it's asking price is 1999.99. You just have to haggle, and price match.
:)

SeanA

Second Unit
I was able to pick up the Sony KV-34XBR800 for just a hair over $2,000 at a quality audio-video shop. So far, I have no complaints (except for the silver color). It does a beautiful job with DVD's and has an excellent feature set.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks