What's new

Help me break my TV.....PLEASE (1 Viewer)

Jim Bennett

Auditioning
Ok so here is the deal: About 2 minutes after I turn on our lovely ProScan 27 inch set, the entire picture blanks out and is replaced by a narrow horizontal line which streches across the length of the screen. If I blink my eyes fast enough, I can see the entire picture in that narrow line. After it "warms up" anywhere from 5 to 30 minutes later the picture goes back to normal and is ok pretty much the rest of the time the set is on, although occasionally it does that again.
Here is my dilema: I guess I could take the set in and have it looked at and repaired, at one time someone advised me that I have a possible bad vertical deflector circuit. (I think that was the terminology)
But I would much rather just get a new projection TV. Problem is my wife is not too keen on buying or upgrading home theater gear unless it is broke or has completely served their useful lifetime, or in other words we will still have this TV in 2034 unless it is a total lost cause.
So, ahem.....how can I nicely break this set in a clandestine fashion so that my viewing pleasure can be forever enhanced by a brand spanking new RPTV?
p.s. This is not a joke.
TIA!

Luke_Y

Second Unit
Well Jim, you could box it up, ship it off to me, and tell the wife a burglar took it...
biggrin.gif

------------------
Luke

Guy Kuo

Supporting Actor
Turning on the TV and letting it run with the vertically compressed line while contrast is turned way up could very badly burn that section of the phosphor. You "don't" want to do that for any period of time as even after an expensive repair, the center portion of the tube could have a nasty burned in line visible.

BradZ

Stunt Coordinator
my standard response on breaking tv's is always to go into the service mode and screw with the settings so the picture is pincushioned, vertically and horizontally compressed, and the colors are all outta whack.
i do not endorse this, and would be very dissappointed in you if you did this. But, you don't know me so why should you care what i think.
laugh.gif

just remember, if you get caught you could be in for many a long night with just you and your tv.
best bet is to just beg and cry until the wife gives in.
------------------
zaphod
end of transmission...

Oren

Stunt Coordinator
"the entire picture blanks out and is replaced by a narrow horizontal line which streches across the length of the screen. "
Um, I'm no engineer, but doesn't this qualify as broken?
Then again, I'm not married either, so who am I to judge.

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
Yeah, i need help breaking mine too!!!
I've had my mitsubishi for 11+ years, and its getting OLD... I want a new 53HX71, but my dad won't get it unless I wait, or if it breaks...
The problem with the TV is that there is no service menu! (or its impossible to find)... Though it sounds like a really good idea...
I found a few japanese articles that roughly translated to that my model of TV has been known to burst into flames and ignite (there have been 6 reports)... But does my dad care??? noooooo...
tongue.gif
But seriously, there have been cases of my model of TV igniting and smoking...
Whats a non-visible way to wreck my TV???
biggrin.gif

Mwahahahahahahahahahhaaaaa...
------------------
The So Family Home Theater!
http://www.multimania.com/sonick182/ht/index.html
You're all entitled to your opinion, but you're all wrong!!! - Paul Dalmine

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
I second Guy's comment strongly.
I fear that by now the tube is already burned across the middle, and if so the set is probably not worth repairing.
Before a repair is attempted and any money spent, solid color screens (all seven of them on the Video Essentials disk) should be viewed to see if there is any burn in shadow left by this bright line.
For other folks eavesdropping on this thread, if you should ever see the TV picture collapse into a thin bright line, unplug the set or turn down the contrast to under ten percent instantly.
Other video hints: http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm
"You don't need help, the set's already broke by now."
[Edited last by Allan Jayne on October 11, 2001 at 07:34 AM]

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
Jim, its really a question of how much will it cost to fix it. I'm sure that you could get a rough quote over the phone, and if you do this at work, maybe the repair person will have some suggestions as to where you can pick up a used projection TV.
I'll third the motion for the vertical deflection. It could be one part, but may be a sign of further downtimes.
Glenn

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks