What's new

Brad's Briefs: Beach Blanket Bingo (1965) Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Kyrsten Brad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
Beach Blanket Bingo (1965) Blu-ray.

BeachBlanketBingo_Blu.jpg

Ahh yes, what better way to spend a almost-too-warm afternoon in Florida (after I did my morning fitness cycling) than this now-classic "beach party movie" featuring two of the biggest names in mid-1960s youth-oriented films, Annette Funicello and Frankie Avalon. And for this fan of the classic "Lost In Space" TV series, BBB also featured, in a bikini no less, the lovely Marta Kristen whom us guys remember as the gorgeous Judy Robinson from the TV series (Note: Heather Graham did a nice job as well with the role in the 1998 movie, one of the few bright spots of that film).

The Movie: What a cheerful, fun-filled and genuinely funny (in both intentional and .unintentional ways when viewed from a 2015 perspective). The most jocularity from this film came from the classic older actors like Paul Lynde (sadly missed since 1982) and the still-with-us Don Rickles. I positively loved the "Bonehead" role played so nicely by Jody McCrea (son of classic radio and film actor Joel McCrea) and of course the gorgeous mermaid Lorelei (Marta Kristen) whom Bonehead falls for (I'd fall for Marta Kristen anytime myself). And I got a real laugh (unintentional comedy) from the greaser gang known as "The Rats".

Not really much depth to the film overall, the deepest emotional part pretty much being Bonehead's falling for Lorelei and the sadness of having to say goodbye to her at the end of the film (though he does end up with the lovely character singer Sugar Kane (a young Linda Evans, though her singing voice was dubbed by studio vocalist Jackie Ward).

And of course Frankie (played by who else, Frankie Avalon who gave us some nice vocal renditions) and Dee Dee (played by the gorgeous, and now sadly-missed Annette Funicello).

Finally Buster Keaton was funny as heck as that, well for lack of better terms, "dirty old man" chasing after the bikini-clad Swedish dancer and he does end up getting his whole face kissed by that girl and two other bikini-clad lovelies.

In summary, I enjoyed the dickens out of this movie and how it takes you back to a time when movies were light-hearted & fun. (Of course I wasn't really around when this movie was in theaters but I still loved it though I must say with all the bikini clad girls dancing and the camera definitely lingering on some lovely derriere's, it could be considered a little risque for that time period (1965))

Further details can be found on this BBB Wiki write-up.

Technical Aspects:

PQ: Picture quality was quite excellent on this Blu-ray though some dirt and some flash "break out frames" of discoloration do show up on occasion. Other than that, the blu-ray looks like it was just filmed yesterday. Grain looked normal to me, doesn't look like much, if any DNR was used though you could make out some "age lines" on a maturing Frankie Avalon and Annette Funicello.

AQ: My Denon AVR indicated a stereo sound track (DTS-HD Master Audio 2.0) and being I'm still quite easy to please, this sounded really good to me (assuming I didn't confuse this Blu with another stereo Blu viewed earlier).

BeachBlanketBingo_Poster.jpg

From Amazon (and myself):

· Format: Multiple Formats, Blu-ray, NTSC, Widescreen

· Language: English

· Audio: DTS-HD Master Audio 2.0

· Region: Region A/1 (Read more about DVD/Blu-ray formats.)

· Aspect Ratio: 2.35:1

· Number of discs: 1

· Rated: NR (Not Rated)

· Studio: Olive Films DVD (Blu-ray)

· DVD/Blu-ray Release Date: February 17, 2015

· Run Time: 98 minutes

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
classicmovieguy said:
It's generally regarded by most fans as the best of the 'Beach Party' films.

With a genuinely clever title, that INSANELY infectious title song and that spirited "if this doesn't put you in a good mood you might actually have passed away" opening number (starting at 1:58) it's no wonder!

Seriously, what else do you need?

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
classicmovieguy said:
It's generally regarded by most fans as the best of the 'Beach Party' films.

Which is surprising. I found it to be one of the weaker entries. Maybe slightly better than Bikini Beach, but it really sags in the middle. The completely insane climax does somewhat redeem it though.

Then again, the goofy, fun comedy is personally the series' appeal for me and this one tried a bit to hard to be both serious in its love story/dramatic elements and still keep elements of its zany comedy. The original Beach Party and Muscle Beach balanced those two elements better, personally. I also think the series works better when it goes all-out cartoon like it did in Pajama Party than trying to ground the series like they tried to in this one.

Though it did have a catchy opening song..

John Hermes

Screenwriter
Real Name
John Hermes
JoHud said:
Which is surprising. I found it to be one of the weaker entries. Maybe slightly better than Bikini Beach, but it really sags in the middle. The completely insane climax does somewhat redeem it though.

Then again, the goofy, fun comedy is personally the series' appeal for me and this one tried a bit to hard to be both serious in its love story/dramatic elements and still keep elements of its zany comedy. The original Beach Party and Muscle Beach balanced those two elements better, personally. I also think the series works better when it goes all-out cartoon like it did in Pajama Party than trying to ground the series like they tried to in this one.

Though it did have a catchy opening song..
..and a catchy Linda Evans...yeah, baby!

Martin_Teller

Second Unit
Real Name
Martin Teller
Kyrsten Brad said:
gorgeous Judy Robinson

gorgeous mermaid Lorelei

lovely character singer Sugar Kane

the gorgeous, and now sadly-missed Annette Funicello

bikini-clad Swedish dancer

two other bikini-clad lovelies

bikini clad girls dancing

lingering on some lovely derriere's

John Hermes

Screenwriter
Real Name
John Hermes
Martin_Teller said:
gorgeous Judy Robinson

gorgeous mermaid Lorelei

lovely character singer Sugar Kane

the gorgeous, and now sadly-missed Annette Funicello

bikini-clad Swedish dancer

two other bikini-clad lovelies

bikini clad girls dancing

lingering on some lovely derriere's
The "Swedish bikini dancer" Bobbi Shaw is always a welcome sight in the beach party films. Her biggest role is probably in "Ski Party".

ahollis

Premium
Real Name
Allen
John Hermes said:
The "Swedish bikini dancer" Bobbi Shaw is always a welcome sight in the beach party films. Her biggest role is probably in "Ski Party".
Ski Party is one of my favorites. Hope a blu of that title is coming.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LostInSeattle
Recent bookmarks