What's new

HELP - How do I get my Internet account on my new computer? (1 Viewer)

Tom Garvey

Stunt Coordinator
I've never had to do this and I'm having a hard time...

I put my bellatlantic cd in and try going through the setup but I get nowhere... major confusion!

Can anyone help me?

Thom B

Stunt Coordinator
A bit more detail would be helpful.

What is it asking you at the point where you get confused?

Is it dialup, DSL, cable?

What's your operating system, browser name and version, and mail client name and version?

As a general rule, I reccomend setting connections in the operating system, and leaving the ISP software off the computer entirely. If you can provide the info above, I can help you get started, at least. Your ISP helpdesk can also get this set up pretty quickly over the phone. It should only be about a 5-15 minute call. Just tell them you don't want to install their software, you just want to configure for a connection.

T

Tom Garvey

Stunt Coordinator
What is it asking you at the point where you get confused?
I went through IE (I don't remember 4.?) and configured and tried connecting... It dials, tries to connect (I hear the modem doing its thing) then says unable.. Then a message pops up saying... ERROR 50 THE NETWORK REQUEST IS NOT SUPPORTED
I don't know why but there is something wrong with the password.. Each time I try to connect it puts in a password that is 14 characters long.. my password is only seven. So I have to keep changing it.. even if I select save (the new) password. When I try to create another dial up.. the same thing happens.. the freakin' 14 character password is there! WTF?
Is it dialup, DSL, cable?
Dial up
What's your operating system, browser name and version, and mail client name and version?
Windows2000Pro, IE 4.?, Outlook, Ver.??
As a general rule, I reccomend setting connections in the operating system, and leaving the ISP software off the computer entirely. If you can provide the info above, I can help you get started, at least. Your ISP helpdesk can also get this set up pretty quickly over the phone. It should only be about a 5-15 minute call. Just tell them you don't want to install their software, you just want to configure for a connection.
I tried twice with no luck.. this is really frustrating!
Thanks

Mike Voigt

Supporting Actor
Please take this with a grain of salt, since it has been nearly 2 years since I changed to cable.

But the doubling of characters in your password sounds like there is an "echo" parameter set to ON somewhere. IIRC it is intended to repeat back to you what you typed, in case you have a setup where the only way to do so is to duplicate the input as an output. And somehow it is getting to your password.

That's my read, anyway.

Also I agree that the best thing is to get rid of as much of the provider's software as possible. It seems to always be some sort of watered-down version, that does not allow certain things the full version does...

HTH.

Mike

Thom B

Stunt Coordinator
Sorry it took so long to respond. The phone lines were out at our house all freakin weekend. ;)
I checked the MS knowledge base, and the closest thing I could find to your error was an issue with the speed of data transfer across a network. If I were to take a SWAG, I'd assume you're running into a communications error with the upstream server. The reccomended fix is to install SP1. I'd reccomend installing both SP1 and 2, if you haven't already. Here's a link to the download site. http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000...ks/default.asp You'll need the large download titled "network installation". You may need to burn it to cd from another box, or you can order it from MS, or check the local computer shops. One of them might be able to burn/give you a copy. It shouldn't cost anything.
As for the password, there's a couple of possibilities. First, XP masks the number of characters in your password box by randomizing the number of astrisks. I can't recall if this is enabled in 2k or not. Second, and most likely, If you choose to save your pwd for the connection and you have entered it in the properties (I beleive it's on the networking tab in 2k), it concatenates the two into one big pwd. Remove it from the properties box, and you should be fine.
Again, sorry for the delay in responding. Post back if you still have trouble after installing the SP's.
T

Tom Garvey

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the help.. I don't know what the problem was..

I fixed it by starting over.. I reformatted and did a fresh install..

Couple of weeks and it's cable modem for me!!!

Thanks again

Jeffrey_Jones

Second Unit
I'm glad you got everything working again.

Win 2k and XP both mask the actual number of characters in a password. Many other applications also do this now. It's for display purposes only and should not affect the actual password at all. Just another aspect of security/privacy.

Thanks,

Jeff

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
balajipackersmovers
Recent bookmarks