What's new

HELP! HELP! -- Scratched DVD in box set --- What to do?? (1 Viewer)

STLMIKE

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mike
Somehow, one of the discs of my Queer as Folk Season 1 box set has gotten scratched, leaving sections of it essentially unplayable...

I used one of those repair devices, which helped somewhat, but it didn't fix it completely.

Has this happened to anyone before w/a box set? Do studios replace discs in these situations? I don't mind paying for the replacement disc, but rebuying the whole set would be a little outrageous.

Now, I'm thinking about the appx. $700 I just dropped on all the ST-TNGs and the add'l $700 I'll drop on ST-DS9....and it's starting to worry me a little...

BTW, the Queer as Folk disc in question was put out by Showtime/Viacom, directly I assume...if anyone has any contact info, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks, Mike

Adam_WM

Screenwriter
Real Name
Adam Moreau
You could try bringing it back to the store. That's what I always do

Christian Preischl

Screenwriter
Real Name
Christian Preischl
Has this happened to anyone before w/a box set?
Oh my yes. 10 scratched sets (including replacements) in 8 weeks. Also, there's a big Buffy Season 3 problem thread in this forum where loads of people reported scratched discs in their sets. It's really annoying and makes you wonder about quality control.
As Adam said, if you bought the set locally taking it back to the store might be your best bet, since you can most likely just exchange the sctrached disc for a new one.

Chris

Kyle McKnight

Senior HTF Member
Adam, Tom and Christian, when you offered your advice, did you realize that the disc didn't come scratched? It has been scratched while in his posession. That's why he's seeking contact info of the studio. If a consumer scratches a disc, he shouldn't put the retailer in the position of fixing the problem.

Ralph Summa

Supporting Actor
On my Disc 1 of the Sporanos Season 1, the last 10 minutes of Episode 3 are completely scrambled. I thought it was fingerprints or dirt, but the sureface of the disc is spotless. I found a spot where you can see right through the disc. It's about 1/16" fleck inside the plastic. Could this be affecting just that small portion of the 4 hrs on that disc? There are no other problems elsewhere on the disc.

This was a gift and I don't have the receipt. Would BB let me exchange it for another Season 1 set?

STLMIKE

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mike
Correct Kyle, I've had the set for months and it played fine the first time I watched it. Somehow, it was scratched later.

I don't remember dropping it, so I really have no idea how it happened.

Mike

Tom_Bechet

Second Unit
Kyle
I got hat yes but on the other hand he doesn't need to ask for a simple replacement. Just say that it's scratched and if they are able to sell him another disc.

STLMIKE

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mike
Another problem is that I don't remember where I even bought it, much less have the receipt...

Since it's a box set, I wouldn't think a retailer could swap out a single disc.

I emailed Showtime's website, but don't have a lot of confidence that they will respond. Does anyone know if there is a better way to communicate w/them?

Mike

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
I bought "Buffy" Season 2 used, got a good price, but found out way later that 1 of the episodes would freeze up, and lock up the player. Didn't appear scratched, so I hadn't noticed. Must just be defective. It was after the store's allotted return for defects time (14 days...), so basically, I'm stuck, yes...?

Greg O' Connel

Stunt Coordinator
These kind of problems should be directed to the manufacturer, not a retailer. Retailers cannot sell or give you an individual disc to replace one you have scratched. Nor should they be expected to.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks