What's new

The Invaders Complete Series DVD import box set? (1 Viewer)

Bartman

Second Unit
Real Name
Trevor Bartram
Has anyone purchased the Australian import region 0 DVD box set of The Invaders Complete Series? Is this a direct port of the CBS/Paramount discs?
If so, has anyone tested the closed captions (CC)?

The 1960's

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neal Rose
Roypinky.jpg

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
There's a good chance the Australian import could suffer from the PAL-speedup issue (where the soundtrack plays 4 percent too fast), if they transferred the episodes from film prints, rather than videotape masters.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
The Australian edition is also from La Entertainment - who released what look to be bootlegs of Combat! - their releases of those are on SD discs (the original Image ones are DD) and are dupes of the Image releases right down to the menus. All packaging and disc labels look like they came off home scanners (kind of low res stuff). That release of S1 of Combat! I purchased is good enough to test the waters but not good enough to spring for more, at least from them. Based on that one release I've become wary of purchasing anything they distribute.

Bartman

Second Unit
Real Name
Trevor Bartram
Well thanks, Andy & Bob, I'm really glad I asked the question. Australia used PAL B/G 625 line 50fps so speedup is possible, it all depends upon: if The Invaders was released in Australia or if they are a US port. Too many 'ifs' for me, I'm better off searching for the CBS/Paramount box sets. Hope this helps others!

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
Well thanks, Andy & Bob, I'm really glad I asked the question. Australia used PAL B/G 625 line 50fps so speedup is possible, it all depends upon: if The Invaders was released in Australia or if they are a US port. Too many 'ifs' for me, I'm better off searching for the CBS/Paramount box sets. Hope this helps others!

Well, the odd thing with Australian releases is that, sometimes, they port over US releases as-is (in NTSC). However, since there have been at least a couple of PAL releases in the UK, a port of those is more likely.

Again, the PAL-speedup only applies if the episodes were mastered from the 35mm prints (into PAL). If they simply converted the NTSC duplication masters to PAL, then there wouldn't be a speedup (just a somewhat inferior picture due to the lower resolution of an NTSC source rather than a 35mm one).

mark27b

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mark Pledger
Don't forget Roy Thinnes' David Vincent's final appearance in Scott Bakula's The Invaders mini-series from 1995

Amazon product

(PAL R2)

Bartman

Second Unit
Real Name
Trevor Bartram
Don't forget Roy Thinnes' David Vincent's final appearance in Scott Bakula's The Invaders mini-series from 1995

Amazon product

(PAL R2)

Thanks, I didn't know about that version. You reference a German DVD, laserdiscs & VHS are available on Ebay and the full movie is up at YT. If the YT video is poor I'll wait for a streaming version, it's got to come out eventually.

johnnybear

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John
I've always wondered why the Bakula miniseries wasn't released in the UK or US and the German edition is like a three hour movie without any breaks!!!
JB

johnnybear

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John
Yes I rented it out and was able to copy it but the whole thing was three hours long with no breaks!!!! I liked how the aliens were the same style as in The Enemy though.
JB

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chris_Wilson3
Recent bookmarks