What's new

Help Choosing RPTV (HD) (1 Viewer)

Tim K

Second Unit
We are in the process of buying a house...and with this new house will be the need for a widescreen HD ready RPTV. I'd like to get something in the 50-55" range.

My top choices are:

Mitsubishi

----------

WS-55819 (platinum plus) - $2400

WS-55908 (diamond) - $3500

Toshiba

----------

50H81 Theaterwide - $1800

57H81 Theaterwide - $2400

Can someone give me the pros and cons of my choices or another option I may have overlooked? I plan to pick up a porg-scan DVD player to compliment this TV as well.

Thanks

-Tim

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
All are fine sets after a professional-level calibration. As a rule lately, it seems Mitsubishi's tend to put out pictures that are a bit too blue-tinted and bright. All this can be tamed, though, with the result being a remarkably sharp, detailed picture. Toshiba possesses an excellent reputation for good colorimetry, which is why I tend to favor the brand. But even the Tosh would benefit enormously from an ISF-type calibration.

Bryan Acevedo

Second Unit
So it sounds like Toshiba is a respected brand as well? I too am moving into a new house, and I was looking at the Mitsubishi 55819. I didn't know what other brands to check out. I currently have a Mitsubishi 60" 4:3, but I would buy another brand if picture quality is as good, and it is cheaper!

I checked out the Pioneer Elite, but they are way out of my price range!

Bryan

Alex-C

Screenwriter
I am in the same boat (in fact I had a thread going along the same lines).

At any rate, right now I am looking at the Mits 65809 which is the platinum series. I also plan to look into the Toshiba models. One thing about the Mits 65809 is I know Sears sells it ($3299) and you can find several sites on Yahoo Shopping that sell it for less than $2700. I think that would be a steal to get Sears to price match for $2700.

I know many people have taken advantage of this deal.

Tim K

Second Unit
Well, I watch alot of standard cable TV...probably 75% of my watching.

Is it true that the Toshiba is going to give me a much better picture on standard material?

Is the Mitsubishi going to give me a much better picture on HD and DVD material to justify that RPTV?

Mike I

Supporting Actor
Tim,

Living in the Philly area, you have plenty of hd available..With the addition of a Set top box, you will be able to upconvert standard defination broadcasts to 1080i which will look good on either set...

Great sig by the way..

VicQ

Stunt Coordinator
I too, have been eyeing these two brands carefully. Right now Mitsubishi is my front runner. My main reason being its excellent DVD and HD picture quality. I stopped at Good Guys and asked him his opinion and he definitely suggested the Mits over the Tosh. He showed me a hi def loop and the Mits (diamond series) clearly had more vibrant colors and sharper image. The Tosh looked excellent too, if I hadn't seen what the mits could do. He also pointed out, and I noticed it too, that the Mits built quality is much better than the Tosh. I was distraught at how cheap the frame for the protective screen was on the Tosh. In contrast, the overall cabinet of all the mits line was very solid. He also pointed out the power supply problems that the Tosh seem to have (set turning itself off, some needing to replace a power supply board. this has been covered over hometheaterspot). Altough I like all the features that the tosh offers, for me built quality comes first, that's why the mits are on the top of my widescreen list right now. Just my opinion.

-Vic

Brad_V

Second Unit
If the new Mitsu's do indeed have a new line-doubler, they might be tough to beat. The Toshibas are good all-around, but are also known to have ghosting problems among other things, so read up on that to make yourself aware if you aren't already.

Tim K

Second Unit
Another thought here....

should I be considering the Pioneer SD533hd5 or SD582hd5 in my choices as well????

Remember that I will be watching about 75% cable TV. It will be Digital cable from Comcast and I believe they offer a HD package as well.

Can someone offer me pros and cons on the 3 manufacturers products? Correct me if I am wrong on any of these:

Mits: bad line doubler for TV but good for HD/DVD after ISF

Tosh: better doubler but display issues on DVD/HD

Pioneer: I know the Elite's are great, but what about these?

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
The mits have a nasty red push (fixable).

the Toshs have a nasty edge enhancement (not everybody cares)

The regular line Pioneers are quite nice too, but the most expensive too.

All require a professional calibration to accurately set color temperature.

Regards

Gregg

Jason F.

Stunt Coordinator
I am anything but an expert when it comes to T.V.'s. So how did I decide on what T.V. to get? I clicked on Gregg's HT site and saw that he uses a Tosh. Then I went to Best Buy and compared the Tosh's to other brand TV's I have looked at. Let's just say I am going to get the Tosh.

Brad_V

Second Unit
Is it a this-year-model Tosh he has? I know one of the calibrator guys on here, maybe him or Michael possibly, love their Toshiba, but they have last year's model and they don't think too highly of the current models.

Here's a question for Tim K.: where did you see the 53H81 for $1800? That's a BIG price difference compared to the Mitsubishi price you posted.

Ken Lopata

Agent
Buy a 4:3 HDTV ready T.V. I just bought a 61" 4:3 Sony KP61HS20 and love it. HDTV programming is a joke. For the next 5-7 years we will all be watching more 4:3 programming then 16:9. The Sony does the anamorphic squeeze for DVD's and HDTV programming. My 16:9 picture for DVD's or HDTV is the same size as the Sony 57HW40 widescreen. I have the best of both worlds. A 61" 4:3 T.V. for 85% of the programming I watch, and a 57HW40 widescreen T.V. for DVD's and for HDTV programming if and when there is any worthwhile programming to watch. I don't have any burn-in problems and can always watch any programming in the proper and original aspect ratio.

I find it funny when someone suggests a 16:9 over a 4:3 display because 16:9 is better. In a sense it's telling that person to watch 75-80 of programming in either a funky stretch mode or risk burning your guns.

I believe Sony has a 43, 53 and 61" 4:3 t.v.'s that all do the anamorphic squeeze. You need this in your 4:3 T.V.

Good luck.

Tim K

Second Unit
Sorry, that was a typo....

should have been 50H81 at $1800 (actually closer to $1900)

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
hi guys!

This year's Tosh line up is much different than that of past years.

I know its hard to do, but you cant really compare the different brands in the show rooms because they are SOO BADLY set up. Try to find a friend or other enthusiast that has their set properly setup and in a controlled environment.

Lots of luck!! Shopping is half the fun.

Regards

Gregg

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks