I'm a newb about TV's and have some ?'s

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Jason_M, Nov 29, 2004.

1. Jason_M

Jason_M Stunt Coordinator

I have a 4 yr. old RPTV (Hitachi 53SBX59B)right now and it is going out finally. It has a faint red and green squiggly line in the upper left hand corner now and has sort of a blurry look to it now as it has aged. So I figure it is time for a new TV. I work at Circuit City and am going to get one from there and I have my eye on a few and have some questions for you guys. First off I have heard so many diff. opinions on LCD's, plasmas, and DLP's that I have no clue which are true and which are false. This is all I know for sure though. I have bad eyes and ears and I thought my Hitachi and my modest home theater looked and sounded awesome. Which all in all is all that really matters I guess. So as long as I think the tv I choose looks good then thats all I care about really. So on to my questions. I am looking at 4 diff. tv's. Here they are: Sony KDF50WE655, Sony KDF55WF655, Sony KDF55XS955, and the Panasonic PT50LC14. What are the main differences that I am looking at in these? I know the Sony's have diff. size and appearance but what else? I know the panasonic has more component inputs as well as PC inputs but would it make it better than built in HD tuner of Sony? I won't be doing HD anytime soon so the built in tuner would be nice to get OTA channels. Please help tell me what the main differences between the 3 Sony's are as well as if the Panasonic would be better than any of the 3 Sony's. Sorry for the looooooooooooong post.

2. Jason_M

I have one more quick question. What would a fullscreen dvd look like on a widescreen tv? I have mostly widescreen dvd's but there are a few fullscreen ones thrown in there and wonder what the picture will look like on a WS tv.

3. Jim Mcc

Jim Mcc Producer

Jim
    Jason, you would have black bars on both sides of image unless you used one of the stretch modes to fill screen.
    Your TV is only 4 years old, and the repair may not be very expensive. Are you just anxious about upgrading?
    I don't know anything about the TV's you listed. Sorry.

4. Jason_M

Another quick question. Is it possible to get burn in on all tv's except tubes? You know like RPTV, Plasma, DLP, LCD, and LCD projection? Please answer this question before all others this is most important to me. Thanks guys.

5. Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie Lead Actor

It is possible to get burnin on all CRT's, both direct view (what you would call a 'tube') and RPTV. It is harder to burnin a direct view, but anyone who has ever seen a Lottery Keno TV screen will know it is very possible. Plasma will burnin, DLP and LCD will not.

All of this is covered in the Burnin thread, which contains all you would ever want to know about burnin and then some. Most come to the conclusion that if you calibrate your set AND LEAVE IT THERE, don't play video games with static images for extended times and vary your viewing aspect ratios, burnin should not be a problem on any set. I've owned a calibrated CRT RPTV for 4 years, watch every aspect ratio known, play occasional X-Box games and have never seen burnin.