What's new

Need Help Choosing Projection TV (1 Viewer)

Gordon Wakim

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Gordon
I am helping a relative choose a new rear projection TV. The choices are Toshiba TheaterWide 65-Inch 65H81, The Hitachi UltraVision 61HDX98B and the Mitsubishi Platinum Series WS-65809. All are wide screen HD units. I am interested in which one is the best, the criteria being build quality, reliability, and picture quality. Any help would be appreciated. :confused:

Henry Carmona

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry Carmona
Gordon,
Fortunately you listed some great RPTV's. I dont think you could go wrong with either.
Personally, i own a 50H81 and love the picture.
I think RPTV has its own little quirks, and theres usually always someone who can find fault in every TV.
I would suggest doing some reading over at www.hometheaterspot.com
They have a pretty good forum dedicated to most TV manufacturers and you can make a good decision after doing some reading there.
Good luck

Gordon Wakim

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Gordon
Thanks for the info Henry. As far as the Toshibas go, what is the difference between the TheaterWide series and the Cinema Series ?

Derrick G

Stunt Coordinator
Gordon,

I've been looking for an RPTV also. I've researched several and I'll be glad to share what I know (which isn't much).

The Toshibas are well built, have an incredible picture and a top-notch line doubler. The only downfall is that almost all of the 81 series have a ghost line problem. Check out the Toshiba forum on the hometheaterspot. It doesn't bother some people. I did look at a 57H81 at BB and I could not see it, but the lighting was terrible so it may have been washed out.

The Mitsubishis have some build quality issues but they are minor. Their picture is great with progressive material. Their line doubler is not that good though. They also have a red push problem that requires an attenuator to be put in-line with the red component cable. This is about a $12 fix. They are easily tweaked.

The Pioneers are built well and the non-elites have the older elite line doubler that was said to be one of the best. There have been a few posts concerning a problem with the doubler on the new elites. More info on that can be found at the Spot also. There has also been a few posts about a slight green push but it must be easy to fix as there haven't been that many. The Pioneers are a little pricy, especially for the Elites.

I haven't researched the Hitachis or the Panasonics yet. I did see a Panasonic yesterday that had a great picture so I may check into them some more.

Right now my preference is the Pioneer 533HD. For the money the Toshiba is the best deal if the ghost line issue can be resolved.

Hope this helps,

Derrick G

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
The Hitachi model number mentionned is 3 years old. The 98Bs had problems accepting progressive dvd signals and a number of other issues.
Current models in the Hitachi line would be 61UWX10B, 61SWX10B, and 61SWX12B.
The UWX models have 5 element lenses and 4 sensor magic focus, with simple stereo sound systems.
The SWX10B series has better 6 element lenses, 8 sensor magic focus, and DD 5.1 decoders and amplification. The SWX12B adds a non-reflective coating to the protective screen.
Of the sets the original poster listed, I would not get the obsolete Hitachi.
The newer Hitachis are better, but still have some issues. Mits are known for great dvd and HD pictures, but mediocre line doubling and excessive red push. Toshibas have better doubling, I'd agree with the poster who recommended the HX line however there is a ghosting issue with them, but it bothers some more than others.
If a 57" set would be acceptable, I think the new Sony HW40 series is well worth considering as well. I've had both an Hitachi 53UWX10B and the Sony KP57HW40 and like the Sony much more.
It's DRC is much improved, and I think it looks smoother than Toshiba's doubler without the blurry artifacty look the older DRC had. The Sony's also have a bit of ghosting, but I've seen this on Hitachis and Pioneers also to varying degrees.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks