What's new

Help: Best HDTV 53" for $4000CDN (1 Viewer)

Matthew Perry

Stunt Coordinator
I am looking for some recommendations. I am planning on purchasing an HDTV in the next couple of weeks and would like to hear some comments on the best bang for the buck. I am looking to spend around $4000 Canadian.

Any opinions, hints & tips would be greatly appreciated.

Matt

JerryLA

Stunt Coordinator
Matthew,

I would suggest checking out the Pioneer Elite series. I have a 510 with a 53 inch screen and love it. I ordered online and had absolutely no problems with the set or with the delivery. I looked at Mitsubishi but for my eyes the Elite had the best picture. I think you can actually get these sets online for under $4000.00. Good luck.

Jerry

Matthew Perry

Stunt Coordinator
Jerry
I Would love to pick up a Pioneer Elite however the $4000 price tag your talking about is American Dollars which would be approx. $6000 Canadian and way out of my wifes's I mean my budget :).
Thanks for the suggestion.
Regards,
Matt

Paul Wu

Stunt Coordinator
But wouldn't she just love the piano finish of the Elites. ;)
Seriously, I'm only aware of the Sony 53hs30 and the Toshiba 53HX71. Both set's are 4:3 sets that are HDTV capable.

GlenH

Stunt Coordinator
Actually the non-Elite Pioneer SD533 is a 53" TV set that has practically ALL the performance of the older 510 Elites. It uses the same excellent line doubler with 2:3 pulldown detection and, unlike the 510 Elite, the 533 allows you to change aspect ratios with anamporphic signals.

For a while, with a 10% off coupon, the SD533 was selling for about $2700 through Best Buy. That should be right in your $4000 canadian price range.

The only things you give up with the 533 over the Elite 510 is a slightly coarser lenticular screen (doubtful if there is a very noticeable difference from this) and you also do not get the super nice, black lacquered finish all Elite TVs have.

The only problem is, SD533s are becoming pretty hard to find due to shortages. But, if you look, you should still be able to find some units for sale. Or, if you don't mind waiting, you can alway order one from One Call for a really good price. They are one of the very few authorized internet Pioneer dealers.

Good luck.

Glen

Steve K.H.

Supporting Actor
Sony
KP-51HW40
Retail 3999.99
Talk em down between $3-500 off
add GST
Within Budget
I bought one a month ago
:D
Nuf said.

Matthew Perry

Stunt Coordinator
Steve

That's funny you should mention that model, I compared it side by side to the Hitachi Ultravision 53" and took the picture on the Hitachi hands down over the Sony in all aspects. It was a hard decision though, that Sony is a goreous TV.

Regards,

Matt

ChristopherT

Agent
Mathew,
I have been eyeing up the Toshiba 57HX81 for the last month. I will wait to purchase until the DVI issue is resolved.
I can tell you that I have found it for $4100 CDN (+ tax + extended warranty). The selling price was $5400, with a sales price down to $4999. After spending some time with the salesperson he agreed to sell it for $4100.
Hope this helps a little. Good luck with your purchase and remember to negotiate. HDTV's have a pretty good mark up on them.
Cheers,
Go Canada Go!:D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks