Help: Best HDTV 53" for $4000CDN

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Matthew Perry, Feb 24, 2002.

1. Matthew Perry

Matthew Perry Stunt Coordinator

I am looking for some recommendations. I am planning on purchasing an HDTV in the next couple of weeks and would like to hear some comments on the best bang for the buck. I am looking to spend around $4000 Canadian.

Any opinions, hints & tips would be greatly appreciated.

Matt

2. JerryLA

JerryLA Stunt Coordinator

Matthew,

I would suggest checking out the Pioneer Elite series. I have a 510 with a 53 inch screen and love it. I ordered online and had absolutely no problems with the set or with the delivery. I looked at Mitsubishi but for my eyes the Elite had the best picture. I think you can actually get these sets online for under $4000.00. Good luck.

Jerry

3. Matthew Perry

Jerry
    I Would love to pick up a Pioneer Elite however the $4000 price tag your talking about is American Dollars which would be approx. $6000 Canadian and way out of my wifes's I mean my budget [​IMG].
    Thanks for the suggestion.
    Regards,
    Matt

4. Paul Wu

Paul Wu Stunt Coordinator

But wouldn't she just love the piano finish of the Elites. [​IMG]
    Seriously, I'm only aware of the Sony 53hs30 and the Toshiba 53HX71. Both set's are 4:3 sets that are HDTV capable.

5. GlenH

GlenH Stunt Coordinator

Actually the non-Elite Pioneer SD533 is a 53" TV set that has practically ALL the performance of the older 510 Elites. It uses the same excellent line doubler with 2:3 pulldown detection and, unlike the 510 Elite, the 533 allows you to change aspect ratios with anamporphic signals.

For a while, with a 10% off coupon, the SD533 was selling for about $2700 through Best Buy. That should be right in your $4000 canadian price range.

The only things you give up with the 533 over the Elite 510 is a slightly coarser lenticular screen (doubtful if there is a very noticeable difference from this) and you also do not get the super nice, black lacquered finish all Elite TVs have.

The only problem is, SD533s are becoming pretty hard to find due to shortages. But, if you look, you should still be able to find some units for sale. Or, if you don't mind waiting, you can alway order one from One Call for a really good price. They are one of the very few authorized internet Pioneer dealers.

Good luck.

Glen

6. Steve K.H.

Steve K.H. Supporting Actor

Sony
    KP-51HW40
    Retail 3999.99
    Talk em down between $3-500 off
    add GST
    Within Budget
    I bought one a month ago
    [​IMG]
    Nuf said.

7. Matthew Perry

Steve

That's funny you should mention that model, I compared it side by side to the Hitachi Ultravision 53" and took the picture on the Hitachi hands down over the Sony in all aspects. It was a hard decision though, that Sony is a goreous TV.

Regards,

Matt

8. ChristopherT

ChristopherT Agent

Mathew,
    I have been eyeing up the Toshiba 57HX81 for the last month. I will wait to purchase until the DVI issue is resolved.
    I can tell you that I have found it for $4100 CDN (+ tax + extended warranty). The selling price was $5400, with a sales price down to $4999. After spending some time with the salesperson he agreed to sell it for $4100.
    Hope this helps a little. Good luck with your purchase and remember to negotiate. HDTV's have a pretty good mark up on them.
    Cheers,
    Go Canada Go![​IMG]

9. JohnnyG

JohnnyG Screenwriter

10. Ken Custodio

Ken Custodio Second Unit