What's new

Help.... Base Shaker Installation (1 Viewer)

SamCK

Agent
Help. I want to get this up and running for Christmas Eve movie night. I bought four Aura Pro base shakers and a 150 W Amp from Parts express. I'm going to have the amp at the front of the room near the receiver, and run the coaxial cable into that. The amp has a black and red output which connects to the Shakers. Now the wiring problem. I'd like to run three wires from the amp, one to the far right rear of the room to install two shakers in the couch on the riser, one to the middle right to install in theater seats, and one on the left to install in theater seat. Do have to wire in parallel or serial, and if so, how do I handle these different locations. I don't want wire going across the room. Any suggestions appreciated. Thanks.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Quote:
Moving to Speakers area. Not really a question for the Basics area. Not really a “speakers” question either – more like an installation question.

Sam, this is kind of last-minute if you’re gearing up for an installation to be finished by tonight. Running and hiding wires can be tedious and time consuming, depending on your house.

Speaking of, you gave us absolutely no details on that at all. Are you trying to hide the wires in-wall? Under carpet? Around baseboards?

And the description you did give is vague and really doesn’t make any sense at all. For instance:

Quote:
...one to the middle right to install in theater seats... This sounds like you want to run the wire right down the middle of the floor – which is silly, of course.

The only quick-and-dirty wire hiding technique is to run the wire around the baseboards and tuck it down between the carpet and the baseboard. Of course, if the room does not have wall-to-wall carpet (another detail omitted) this option is out.

If that’s the case I expect you’ll just have to do a throw-down wiring job to get you through the night, and then when you have the time, come back and do it right.

To that end:

Quote:
Do have to wire in parallel or serial, and if so, how... You said you have four shakers and a 150 watt amp. And from your description it sounds like a mono amp (yet another detail not clarified). So yes, you’ll have to use a combination of series and parallel wiring to make sure the amp gets the correct load.

Can’t give you any details on how to do that, however, because you didn’t tell us what the ohm rating on the amp or the shakers is.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

SamCK

Agent
Sorry. Amp is a 150 W Parts Express Subwoofer Amp, AuroPro Base Shakers 8 ohms each - 4 of them. I only received the shipment yesterday so I was hoping to attach the base shakers to the seats and run the speaker wire along the floor for now. After Christmas I'll fish it through the ceiling and down the walls.

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...D=123393&DID=7

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd..._ID=9387&DID=7

I was planning on having the subwoofer amp at the front of the room.. connected to receiver coaxial subwoofer output. I then wanted to have a wire exit the rear right of room to supply the two shakers in the rear couch on riser, another wire come out 6 feet in front of the rear (along the right side)to power the shakers in the theater seats in front of the riser; and another to come out along the left wall to supply the shaker in teh single theater seat at that location. Tonight, I'm just going to leave the speaker wire loose, but am wondering how to connect the various shakers.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks