What's new

Help a former console gamer get back in the swing of things? (1 Viewer)

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C
ok, a bit of backstory first:

I grew up on console games, starting with an Atari 2600 in 1982, then moving on to a NES, then a Genesis and SNES, and then... Quitting console gaming in favor of my PC. Basically, when the PSX and Saturn came out in 1995, I wasn't too enamoured with the sudden shift from hand-drawn 2D games to those early polygon-based games. So, I sought refuge in the PC world, eventually losing interest in consoles altogether. I still played with the newer consoles at friends' houses (4-person Goldeneye deathmatches... :D), but didn't really care enough to buy them.

But lately, more and more of the newer games have been catching my eye, and since I'll have some extra "me" money to spend this Christmas, I figured now might be a good time to jump back into console gaming. I'm thinking of picking up all three consoles, and a couple games for each... Which is where you fine people come in ;)

Which are the two games on each platform that you wouldn't part with? The best of the best, regardless of genre.

Thanks for any suggestions you might have :)

Jeffrey Forner

Screenwriter
Welcome back to the wonderful world of consoles, Ricardo! Enjoy the ride.

Here's my list. Keep in mind that it may change dramatically during the course of this holiday season with all the great games coming out. Also, I have a fondness for platformers, action games, and adventure games. Your mileage may vary.
  • GameCube: Metroid Prime and Super Smash Bros. Melee
  • Xbox: Halo and Splinter Cell
  • Playstation 2: Ratchet and Clank and Jak and Daxter

Good luck. I hope you find some games you like. There certainly is a lot of good stuff to choose from right now.

David Williams

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Williams
I'd recommend Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem, Metroid Prime and The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker for Gamecube. Three different types of gaming, three totally kick-ass games! :D

I second Jeffrey's Xbox recommendations. I have no earthly clue what's good on PS2, right now.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Since you're a Star Wars fan, I can assume you'll want Rebel Strike on the GameCube. It even has a Geonosis level! :emoji_thumbsup: Granted, I don't yet have the game myself, but it's gotten generally favorable reviews.

On the XBox, you'll probably want Knights of the Old Republic. It's also coming to PC, if you'd prefer it there.

CaptDS9E

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joey
If you decide to get X-box live

Rainbow Six is a must have, as is Crimson Skies. Both excellent games

capt

Kami

Screenwriter
I used to be in your same position, except my last console was NES...then I was total PC gaming until about a year ago when I got an Xbox.

Games I wouldn't part with are Halo, Knights of the Old Republic, Rallisport Challenge, and now more recently, Return of the King. Not all of these are exclusives of course, but they do look & sound the best on Xbox. Main reason I chose xbox was because of its emphasis progressive scan games and 5.1.
The PC versions are higher resolution but you need a beefy system where the graphics card alone is the price of an Xbox console (or more) plus you play it on a smaller screen. I much prefer gaming on my HT now. The only PC game I really play nowadays is Warcraft 3.

I'm sure I would have more on my list if I was on Xbox Live but I'll probably wait til Halo 2 before I jump on that bandwagon. I also really want to try Crimson Skies soon.

Oh and I recently got the Grand Theft Auto double pack and it looks great!

My room mate has a GameCube and I found Mario Golf and Metroid Prime to be pretty fun, but the rest of his stuff is sports games and I am not a fan of sports titles really.

Todd Schnell

Second Unit
Ricardo,
I own all 3 consoles as well.
Some great games listed already. Honestly I've been burnt out on gaming a bit lately. The Prince of Persia X-Box demo really got my gaming juices flowing again. I am all over this game when its released.
I also just picked up Shinobi for PS2 ($10 at Circuit City), & it has hard core gaming written all over it. Some cool game play, but a faulty camera, & it gets very very hard even before the half way point. Still addicting for the hard core Shinobi fan. And for $10 a no-brainer. I will finish this game! :D
Just thought I would throw those 2 out at you. There is still something old school in their game play, though they are now 3D.

Todd

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks