What's new

HELP: 3802 running HOT (1 Viewer)

Matt Parsons

Stunt Coordinator
Denon recommends 4" clearance all the way around the unit but it just fits width wise into my rack. I do have 4"+ above the unit.
Any thoughts about how to keep it cool? I was going to get a small clip-on fan and plug it into the rear of the 3802 and have it blow in and down on the receiver.
confused.gif

Thanks
------------------

Chip E

Screenwriter
I wouldn't blow air "into" the receiver... Suck that hot air out! I'd bet your ok width wise.. i wouldn't sweat that, as long as there's some clearance above the unit.
- Chip
------------------

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
I think you could put a "small" fan on your receiver to suck air out. Another thing you could do is cut a hole in the back of your stereo/tv cabinet and attach an air-filter fan. I did this to a TV cabinet and it works well. The fan is way in the BACK as its quite, and the air you force into the cabinet is filtered. It would be good to use in conjuction with a small receiver mounted fan "sucking" air out of the receiver, but the fan pushing air into the cabinet would work alone. Of course, you need to be using a cabinet that has closing glass doors! Good luck :)
BTW, how do you like the receiver? Sound quality? Hows the remote control?
[Edited last by Chris PC on August 04, 2001 at 02:33 PM]

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
Yeah my 3801 is quiet warm as well.
I thought that these receivers have built in fans like the 3300 had?
There is a vent on the back that's indicate this,but I can't be sure.
Update:
Yep there is a fan in my 3801,though it never turned on as far as I know.
------------------
"You Hungarians always disagree"
[Edited last by Lewis Besze on August 04, 2001 at 06:07 PM]

Matt Parsons

Stunt Coordinator
Chris,
So far I'm very impressed. Sound quality is great, I'm definitely hearing things from my DVD's I never heard before w/my JVC RX-884 (now powering my new SVS 20-39 which is awesome as well!)
As far as DPL2 v Neo 6: I think it does sound marginally better but if I owned a 3801 I wouldn't be in a big rush to spend more to upgrade to a 3802 if that's the key reason for considering doing it (at least in the Cinema modes). Both do a nice job, I watched some of A League of Their Own yesterday and the improvement of DPL2 over Neo:6 seemed more apparent than when watching my Dish - w/the Dish the difference was minimal in my opinion.
Thank for your replys,
Matt
------------------

Gil D

Supporting Actor
As far as DPL2 v Neo 6: I think it does sound marginally better but if I owned a 3801 I wouldn't be in a big rush to spend more to upgrade to a 3802
I agree with Matt, if DPL2 as rendered by my Onkyo is the same as the Denon 3802, I don't think it's worthy of alot more $. I picked up one of the last NIB 3801 at the clearance price and it was a steal. I haven't had a chance to play with the Neo much yet but it should be better than DPL.
IMO Sony Studio Cinema EX modes rule for 2 channel formats and can enhance those 5.1 discs that are lacking. I'm looking forward to the new Sony ES receivers DA5es and DA3es but the Denon is a keeper. The Onkyo is going back.
Gil
[Edited last by Gil D on August 05, 2001 at 10:27 AM]

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
How does the receiver blend with your subwoofer? IF you have your speakers set to SMALL, what xover are you using? 80, 100 or 120 hz?
I am agonizing over this xover business and its annoying as all hell. If subwoofers had adjustable crossovers since the beginning, why haven't receiver manufacturers just replicated the xover adjustment in their receivers? Like 50-100hz. That would likely cover it all. I sound like a broken record, but its kinda driving me crazy!
If someone out there wants to start an aftermarket business, start tearing down all the receivers without bass management and somehow replace it with like a 40-120hz range for the SMALL speaker setting xover. Find out where the chip is. Rip it out, read it and burn the code into an eprom and make it adjustable!! OK, I can dream, can't I?
[Edited last by Chris PC on August 05, 2001 at 11:11 AM]

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
It would require someone you could trust,like MSB,but it could be pricey.
------------------
"You Hungarians always disagree"
[Edited last by Lewis Besze on August 05, 2001 at 01:20 PM]

Gil D

Supporting Actor
Chris PC,
I wouldn't get aggravated by the 80Hz crossover in the Denon. The LF rolloff on the sub is 24dB/decade so it rolls off quicker than alot of other gear out there. The sub integration with my Concertos is about as seemless as it ever has been, and I was previously using a Sony receiver with adustable crossover set to 60Hz.
Actually, the Denon receivers have a GREAT feature for SACD stereo bass management (or any other CD player using analog) - analog low pass on the mains and digital crossover for the sub at 80Hz. Much better than the 120Hz crossover in my Sony SACD player.
gil

Chuck Kent

Supporting Actor
FWIW, in my experience, all Denon receivers run on the warm side.
I don't know the reason why Denon chooses to do so, but I've owned 3 over the last few years and they all ran warm and I never had any problems.
------------------

Gil D

Supporting Actor
FYI,
My Sony ran much, much hotter than the 3801. And I also only drive the rear speakers with the receiver.

Lee L

Supporting Actor
FWIW, if you use a fan to pull air out, air and dust are still going to get in. As long as the receiver is not in a vacuum, dust will settle on it. If you move air dust will settle more rapidly. The dust in the moving air hits objects inside the reciever like power transformers, capacitors, heat sinks, etc. and sticks. Possibly using the filter on the fan might help, in that case it would actually be better to blow into the reciever.
The bottom line is that if you are really worried about dust, you will need to remove your receiver periodically and blow the dust out no matter what you do.

Matt Parsons

Stunt Coordinator
ChrisPC
X-over @ 80 seems to blend fine w/the SVS.
Norm,
No I didn't measure. I just happen to notice how hot the top of it was after I demoed some DVD's the other night. My only frame of reference was my JVC which never ran anywhere near that hot. Now, from what some of you are saying - Denon's run hot and that may be the case but does anyone know if they are equipped with a safety shut-off it becomes dangerously hot?
Thanks for all the helpful replies -
Matt
------------------

Gil D

Supporting Actor
Sorry, that should have read 24dB/octave NOT decade on the low pass crossover slope. DOH!
Also blends very well with Hsu TN1220 sub.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks