What's new

Blu-ray Review Hello, Dolly! Blu-ray Review (1 Viewer)

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
noel aguirre said:
Overexposed film? Or film lacking any blue?HD could use a restoration if that's the best print available. . The print is too contrasty and sound is reed thin.
Oh, I see - now there is NO blue in the film at all. You're beginning to sound like a troll? Because saying there is no blue in the film is at best, fanciful, and at worst, an attempt to lie to make some point only known to you. There is blue in the skies, there is deep blue in the costumes and sets. How can that be in a film lacking any blue. Funny that. Thankfully, no one is listening and from here on you can shout to the high heavens about thin sound and no blue all by your lonesome. Thankfully, the transfer speaks for itself, both image and sound-wise and the more people who see it, the more raves it gets - you saw some white skies in one number that has ALWAYS HAD THEM and that has become your beast of burden. I think I'll go watch some of it again, just so I can see those lovely blue skies in the shots that have them.

Noel Aguirre

Supporter
Real Name
noel
haineshisway said:
Oh, I see - now there is NO blue in the film at all. You're beginning to sound like a troll? Because saying there is no blue in the film is at best, fanciful, and at worst, an attempt to lie to make some point only known to you. There is blue in the skies, there is deep blue in the costumes and sets. How can that be in a film lacking any blue. Funny that. Thankfully, no one is listening and from here on you can shout to the high heavens about thin sound and no blue all by your lonesome. Thankfully, the transfer speaks for itself, both image and sound-wise and the more people who see it, the more raves it gets - you saw some white skies in one number that has ALWAYS HAD THEM and that has become your beast of burden. I think I'll go watch some of it again, just so I can see those lovely blue skies in the shots that have them.
So now you're the Director Of Photography who knows first hand that the skies and the Hudson were always white? Keep digging. And how do you expain the weird grass color another poster mentioned?I'll keep watching wishing if only.....Still Lovin it even though I have to crank up the bass. Indoor scenes are fine.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
noel aguirre said:
Last time I checked the Huson River is not in California. However I could be mistaken as Haineshisway keeps insisting. Hello Dolly picture 4.5Sound 3.5I have a 42 Samsung plasmaAnd Yamaha receiver with B&W speakers.
You are quite right that the Hudson River and the Yonkers shots are not in LA. But if you watch the featurette on Dolly and Gene Kelly, his widow says they were plagued by rain during the New York shoot. The last time I looked rain came from clouds and not blue sky.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
ahollis said:
You are quite right that the Hudson River and the Yonkers shots are not in LA. But if you watch the featurette on Dolly and Gene Kelly, his widow says they were plagued by rain during the New York shoot. The last time I looked rain came from clouds and not blue sky.
You're not going to win this and I've given up because it's so obvious what is going on here, which is trollish behavior. Happily, he can't really go in the other thread because in that thread the transfer is getting one rave after another, as it should.

warnerbro

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Darrell
I've never seen such a spirited debate on any release. But that's what this site is all about. I saw this film on the big screen when it was first released and I was very little -- but it had a huge impact on me. I can't imagine anyone else playing these roles. I always thought Streisand came across as mid-40s rather than mid-20s in the way she played this like Mae West. I remember the story where Gene Kelly was asked to direct THE SOUND OF MUSIC and he said "I don't want anything to do with that piece of shit." And I must agree with him -- the play is awful. The movie much improved on the story in all areas. But I think Kelly made a masterpiece here. I think time has been kind to this film because at the time it was released it was moderately successful but didn't recoup its huge expenses. The critics severely criticized its casting and lavishness. I love it.

Reactions: PMF

Rob_Ray

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rob Ray
What sets this apart from other '60s book musicals like "The Sound of Music" is the sheer exuberance and intricate choreography contained within it. The dancing in "My Fair Lady" and "The Sound of Music" is very rudimentary by comparison, as the emphasis in both is on the book. "Hello, Dolly!" is an old-fashioned MGM-style musical done on a mammoth scale. The set design and costumes can be overpowering at times, the singing by the secondary leads is either weak or dubbed, but all that dancing talent on screen can't be faked. This is real deal!

Noel Aguirre

Supporter
Real Name
noel
ahollis said:
haineshisway said:
You're not going to win this and I've given up because it's so obvious what is going on here, which is trollish behavior. Happily, he can't really go in the other thread because in that thread the transfer is getting one rave after another, as it should.
So a white nuclear sky is one gigantic cloud? Ok. You win. Btw nothing trollish here- others have said the same thing. The whites are a bloomin'. And the grass is off. Whoever timed this transfer messed up. We all still love the movie so who cares if it's not flawless?Is Louis Arnstrong singing live?

Noel Aguirre

Supporter
Real Name
noel
haineshisway said:
What other thread?

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
haineshisway said:
How true. At least you are correct concerning the other posts about how gorgeous this transfer is on the Dolly Blu-ray thread.

Richard Gallagher

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Gallagher
ahollis said:
The Hudson River and Yonkers scenes were shot mostly in Garrison, N.Y. and Cold Spring, N.Y., both of which are about a 30-minute drive from me, and both towns look pretty much the same as they did 40 years ago.

I haven't seen the Blu-ray but so far I haven't been able to find any reviews which are critical of its picture and sound.

Nick*Z

Screenwriter
Real Name
NICK
I have to say that I am exceedingly pleased by what I saw and heard. I've seen Hello Dolly! in 70mm and this Blu-ray presentation looks about as good as I recall from that experience. The DVD was pathetic. The entire opening credit sequence on the DVD had a blue haze that made every overhead shot of the train look as though it was photographed through a heavy veil of blue-grey mist.

Whites are definitely NOT blooming during the parade sequence or anywhere else for that matter. If you're seeing blooming whites you need to tone down your contrast and brightness. The sky is blue when it needs to be. Fine detail is extraordinary throughout. I saw details in fabrics, hair and makeup I don't ever remember seeing anywhere except during my 70mm viewing experience.

I do have the laserdisc from way back and have to say that my Sony DTS receiver did pick up a marginally weightier bass frequencies on it than on the Blu-ray - but not enough to impugn my enjoyment of the Blu-ray - especially as a stand alone presentation without the benefit of being able to compare the two.

We could poo-poo the shortcomings of not having a comprehensive doc on the making of the film, but Fox has really committed a very fine effort on this release. Is it perfect? - no. Is it excellent? You bet. The narrow margin between perfect and extremely solid does not - at least in my opinion - seem to warrant the witch hunt some have gone on to tear into Matt's review or the quality of this disc.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
Nick*Z said:
I have to say that I am exceedingly pleased by what I saw and heard. I've seen Hello Dolly! in 70mm and this Blu-ray presentation looks about as good as I recall from that experience. The DVD was pathetic. The entire opening credit sequence on the DVD had a blue haze that made every overhead shot of the train look as though it was photographed through a heavy veil of blue-grey mist.

Whites are definitely NOT blooming during the parade sequence or anywhere else for that matter. If you're seeing blooming whites you need to tone down your contrast and brightness. The sky is blue when it needs to be. Fine detail is extraordinary throughout. I saw details in fabrics, hair and makeup I don't ever remember seeing anywhere except during my 70mm viewing experience.

I do have the laserdisc from way back and have to say that my Sony DTS receiver did pick up a marginally weightier bass frequencies on it than on the Blu-ray - but not enough to impugn my enjoyment of the Blu-ray - especially as a stand alone presentation without the benefit of being able to compare the two.

We could poo-poo the shortcomings of not having a comprehensive doc on the making of the film, but Fox has really committed a very fine effort on this release. Is it perfect? - no. Is it excellent? You bet. The narrow margin between perfect and extremely solid does not - at least in my opinion - seem to warrant the witch hunt some have gone on to tear into Matt's review or the quality of this disc.
When people start talking about blooming whites that are non-existent, you just have to throw up your hands (no mean feat) and understand that their settings are just plain wrong. Nothing to do about it and no amount of explaining will help. When someone says that there is NO blue at all in the transfer, when it devolves into that kind of silly hyperbole then the only thing you can do is ignore that stuff, congratulate Fox on a job really well done, and trust that those who know their stuff will love seeing Hello, Dolly! look like this. Some of the posts in this thread, mostly coming from one direction, are truly head scratching and, in certain instances, mind-boggling. I wonder if you sat these people down and showed them a 70mm print if they'd still say there are blooming whites. It's just... well, it's just.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
I've done a little more examination of the disc, and directional dialog is definitely present. A lot of people don't understand the nature of vintage directional dialog and expect to hear voices moving distinctly from one speaker to the next. That's not how it worked in the old days. For example a character positioned on the left of the screen will have their voice stronger in the the left speaker but still present in the center and right.

Virgoan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Ron Pulliam
I experienced no issues at all with "Hello, Dolly!" playing it on my LG all-region BD player. This film looks absolutely, insanely gorgeous with some of the finest colors I've seen on Blu ray. I have seen this film many, many times...in its initial release and on TV, and in various home video incarnations. In fact, I thought Fox would have a long way to go topping its last DVD issue of the title which upconverts beautifully. What I did not realize was what the film was missing in all previous home video incarnations...and that was depth and richness of color and sharpness. This Blu ray is one of the finest I've seen. It's incredible.

It almost seems like a different version of the movie I've been watching these past 40-plus years. They did something with lighting and camera work that makes the front-and-center actors in various scenes standout. It's not overt lighting, but it's there all the same. This gives the scenes a depth I've not experienced watching other films, thus far...even on Blu ray.

"The Waiter's Galop" is an absolutely dazzling number and the colors and production and choreography are intoxicatingly dazzling.

"Dolly" has grown on me over the years. About 20 years ago, I'd have told you it was an interesting, but not favorite, musical treat. Ten years ago, I would have told you with astonishment that the film had significantly risen in my estimation and that I enjoyed it every time I watched it. Today, it's simply an astonishing, favorite, interesting movie musical that stands on its own legs as one of my favorite movies.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Well.

Well, well, well.

Okay...

This has to be one of the BEST color films, and BEST looking big-picture Blu-rays, in my entire collection. I'm talking best. Lawrence of Arabia. South Pacific. That kind of best.

Period.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
No blooming whites. Certainly not in any shots of the sky. What I see in the sky is every gradation of deep to light blue, to light clouds on blue, to hazy, to slightly overcast, etc., that I'm used to seeing whenever I go outside -- and particularly what I've been used to getting when taking pictures over the year -- on Kodachrome, Ektachrome, Kodacolor, etc., digital snapshots, you name it. Under any given sky, point in a different direction and the camera will pick it up differently.

But I'm making too big a case there. Forget that. Every single shot of sky in this film looks totally natural to me. I wouldn't even have thought to comment on the sky, but since we're all looking at it, it's gorgeous. As for the colors overall, oh my god. From beginning to end, this film was popping right out of my screen. I think you could watch it silently and be just as awe-struck. Not that I'd want to, because the audio was rich and perfect to these ears.

Thank you, Fox. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

And lest I forget to mention: Last night I went from "nah, not interested in that movie, thanks" to "I LOVE THIS FILM". It only took a moment.

Panasonic VT25 plasma in THX mode, no professional calibration as of yet.
Oppo BDP-93.
Pioneer Elite receiver, vintage Vandersteen 2Cs, Energy center and surrounds, Lava 12" sub.

bryan4999

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bryan Forbes
Charles Smith said:
No blooming whites. Certainly not in any shots of the sky. What I see in the sky is every gradation of deep to light blue, to light clouds on blue, to hazy, to slightly overcast, etc., that I'm used to seeing whenever I go outside -- and particularly what I've been used to getting when taking pictures over the year -- on Kodachrome, Ektachrome, Kodacolor, etc., digital snapshots, you name it.
Funny that you mention Kodachrome - while I was watching Dolly yesterday - for the third time because it is so pretty - I was often reminded of the beautiful Kodachrome photos my Dad took in the 1960s.

KPmusmag

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kevin Parcher
Great disc and great review. I agree with Matt's opinions on the casting. I have nothing against Michael Crawford, but I have seen many stage productions of Dolly and my favorite portrayals of Cornelius are the ones where he is a handsome and sexy guy who is so naive he doesn't know that he is sexy. In other words, naive instead of goofy. I truly love this movie and have, in fact, watched it twice already, but you do have to just kind of suspend disbelief when it comes to the relationships of Dolly/Vandergelder and Irene/Cornelius.

Reactions: PMF

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks