Heavy Music Fans -- Suggestions?

Discussion in 'Music' started by Andy Hardin, Feb 11, 2002.

1. Andy Hardin

Andy Hardin Stunt Coordinator

I am stagnating in my music collection. I am a fan of heavy music, everything from commercial heavy (System of a Down, Slipknot) to Death Metal. Some of my past and present likes include Entombed, Nothingface, Obituary, Kittie, Fear Factory, Hed P.E., Stuck Mojo, Primer 55, S.O.D., Sepultura, etc. This is not a list of my favorites, just off the top of the head bands I have plugged into my CD player in the past few days.

I am a mid in my mid 20's, employed at a bank, and none of my friends are into this type of music, and I am not into the live scene much around here either. So I am missing the main way of hearing about new bands, being turned onto them. Radio has no support, and snipets on MTV2 don't do me much good either. I check out KNAC.com streaming radio from time to time but there is just too much old school, goofy 80's metal for me (not that I am busting on this time or that type of music, it ust comes across to me as silly sometimes).

Taking a theme from some other threads around here, sell me some of your less famous metal. Note, if it has had any degree of mainstream or modest commercial success, I have probably heard it, so sell me some of your underdogs.

2. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

I've mentioned them before a few times, but I am still obsessed with them, so I'm gonna do it again:
    Opeth
    Not for the faint of heart. Coming out of the Swedish death metal scene, they have created a truly unique sound. In a really good Opeth song, lasting around 10 minutes, you'll get everything from growling death vocals and crunching riffs to beautiful ballad singing- and somehow, it all manages to sound right. They never play particularly fast; it's usually mid-tempo. And though it's obvious that they're phenomenal players, they never shred pointlessly or run scales up and down. The solos and instrumental parts are all geared toward the song, making for a very smooth listen.
    Each song is like journey- you feel like you're on a tour. On two of their albums, the songs together make up a concept album.
    They have five albums out so far:
    Orchid- debut, very Death metal-ish, with hints of what is to come.
    Morningrise- Exploring acoustic instrumentation and "normal" singing a lot more.
    My Arms Your Hearse- Their first masterpiece. Changing their rhythm section to be more solid and grounding than the previous flashiness from the last albums, this concept album takes the best of the first two albums. It's the kind of thing you want to listen to while reading the lyrics.
    Still Life- Their second masterpiece, even better than the last one. This takes everything they've been doing to a whole new level. They somehow manage to stretch out and open up their songs more, while maintaining a stronger song-writing focus.
    Blackwater Park- Keeping up the quality of their last album, these songs are more "stand-alone."
    It takes a bit of getting used to Opeth, but if you can dig what they do, you become hooked. Still Life is my personal favorite, but My Arms and Blackwater Park are also great places to start. Only check out the first two if you really like their later material.
    Another band that kicks my ass is Fates Warning. Lots of original riffing and gloomy, moody music. Perfect Symmetry is their most difficult album, but ultimately their most rewarding. No Exit, Parallels, and A Pleasant Shade of Gray are great albums to start with them as well.
    Are you into the old-school metal at all? Iron Maiden, Slayer, and Megadeth has made some metal that still hasn't been beaten.

3. Brian Dobbs

Brian Dobbs Ambassador

Brian Dobbs
    Dream Theater - any album

4. Tom Ryan

Tom Ryan Screenwriter

My ten Led Zeppelin cds weigh a lot when I hold them together [​IMG].
    -Tom

5. RicP

RicP Screenwriter

I don't know if I'd consider them "very" heavy, but they have some pretty damn good songs and some great guitar work.
    Nickelback
    also, are you a fan of Tool or no?

6. Andy Hardin

Mike, I have heard you discuss Opeth before and I have been searching the, ahem, bargain bins, for some of their material. Looking forward to giving it a try. I've got all of the old school stuff that I enjoy, I know there is probably more out there I would like. I know there are a lot of Maiden fans but I just can't get into it. Maybe it is my loss.

RicP, I have got most of the Tool catalogue and listen to Nickelback when my girlfriend is around (she isn't much of a fan of the heavier stuff, go figure), but my true tastes lie in music with more energy and aggression. It is my release.

7. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

I can't recommend anything current, however a few classics from my old school collection would be:

Motorhead: Ace of Spades and earlier

Angelwitch (self titled)

Judas Priest: British Steel and earlier

Saxon: Strong Arm of the Law

Venom: Welcome to Hell, Black Metal (makes all new death metal sound like the retread it is IMO)

Mercyful Fate: Melissa, Don't Break the Oath

Scorpions: Animal Magnetism and earlier

lots more....

8. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

Re: "old school"

I know you said you think it's goofy- you're right, it is. I like the goofiness sometimes, though. It makes it fun, even if it's not intended. But this is, of course, a matter of preference.

You seem to enjoy the really bleak, violent material. For that, there is no better than Slayer. Their new album God Hates Us All is possibly their heaviest album yet: incredibly vicious and oppressive.

Have you ever heard the band Death?

9. David-S

David-S Second Unit

Personally, I really like Drain STh...

They're another (swedish)? band, that I think has a really great sound.. heavy, but still musical...

I enjoy 'em...

(Also really enjoy Godsmack's first album)

10. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

Okay, I'll second Drain STH. They are great. I'm looking forward to what Superfix comes up with now that Drain STH is no more. They also look a hell of a lot better than 99.9% of the heavy bands out there...[​IMG]
    Also, heavy but not really metal would be Catherine Wheel, helmed by Bruce Dickinson's cousin Rob. Happy Days, Chrome, and Ferment are great.

11. John_Bonner

John_Bonner Supporting Actor

12. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

Atheist is a good one. Heavy, heavy stuff.

I know folks who are into Meshuggah, but I don't remember what they sound like.

13. Andy Hardin

Death - Individual Though Patterns is one of my favorite albums. I think they peaked there, the newer stuff seems too technical to me. It is almost like they forgot the flow of the music, and just seem to want to put complex riffs in, didn't really go over well with me.

Drain STH and Catherine Wheel, thanks for the suggestions. Gonna try both of them out.

Heard things about Meshuggah, I'll give them a try as well.

14. Greg_Y

Greg_Y Screenwriter

Jeff Ulmer (or anyone else for that matter),

How is the album Abigail by King Diamond (or is it Mercyful Fate)? I've been wanting to pick up some stuff by either of those two after hearing the Mercyful Fate Medley on Garage, Inc.

15. Eve T

Eve T Supporting Actor

IRON MAIDEN!!!!!! [​IMG]
    Merciful Fate, Danzig, Prong (a must hear) and there are some nice heavy songs on Marilyn Mansons "portrait of an American family". Any old Metallica (with Cliff Burton on bass) and you might even like some DIO.
    Peace,
    Eve

16. Demetri_H

Demetri_H Auditioning

Some heavy bands I like are Candiria, Brutal Truth and God Forbid.

17. JamesKan

JamesKan Extra

I'll 2nd the OPETH, DEATH and Meshuggah reccomendations.
    I've been a fan of OPETH since I first heard "Morningrise" in 1997, and been hooked ever since. I tend to like their earlier material best, but they have yet to release anything less than a masterpiece. You really cannot go wrong with any of them.
    DEATH is another personal favorite. Don't let the name scare you. Any of their past 4 albums are progressive or technical metal. The vocals can take getting used to, but the playing surpasses many others in any style. Their first few albums are typical death metal, but any album from the album "human" onward are great. "Human" is possibly my favorite album of all time. Their main songwriter, Chuck Schuldiner, was a musical genius. Unfortunately, he passed away on December 13th, so ther will no more DEATH albums released [​IMG]
    --Chuck also fronted another band called CONTROL DENIED that has music similar to Death, but with a clean, high pitched singer. This may be more accessible at first. The name of the Control Denied album is "The Fragile Art of Existence".
    Finally, Meshuggah. They remind me of what Fear Factory would sound like if they kept going in a metal direction, but a bit more complex. I'd suggest "Destroy Erase Improve" from them. Meshuggah's newest album, "Chaosphere", may be a little over the top for an introduction to the band. It is less melodic and more disjointed than their previous ablums.
    I have a vast collection of heavy CD's. If you want, email me directly and I can get into more detail and suggest more bands. Many of the bands I like are fairly obscure, so I need a better idea of what you are looking for (technical, riffy, doom, thrashy, melodic, etc...)
    James

18. RicP

RicP Screenwriter

I'll second the Pantera recommendation too, those guys are just insane. [​IMG]

19. Sheldon C

Sheldon C Second Unit

If you metal that is dark but still has a great melody and a real singing voice (nothing against "death" voices, just not my thing) check out the album Burnt Offerings by Iced Earth. I love all their albums but this is my favorite mostly due to the last song on the album "Dante's Inferno". It parallels the book, taking the trip through hell - and it takes over 16 minutes to do it! This song has some of the best riffs I have ever heard in metal, combined with some seriously dark and heavy lyrics:

"LUCIFER, angel of Light

CAST BELOW, god of ice..."

"ruling hell unholy trinity

the traitors freeze for all eternity".

I read Dante's Inferno in a history class in college, and it makes the song that much cooler.

Hey, I too am in my mid (to late) twenties, and yep none of my friends like this stuff either. I teach 9th graders and coach and none of my students/athletes can believe I'm a metal head.

To give you a point of referece, my all time favorite album is Master of Puppets with the other two classics (Lightning, Justice) not far behind. My favorite bands (other than old Met) are Iced Earth, Fear Factory, Dream Theatre, and Tool.

Other than Burnt Offerings, I would suggest Seasons in the Abyss by Slayer (although you probably already have this one). Slayer usually doesn't do it for me - this album does. Lots of hooks while remaining brutal.

20. Sheldon C

Sheldon C Second Unit

uhhh that was supposed to be "...if you like metal":b