What's new

Heavy Music Fans -- Suggestions? (1 Viewer)

paul h

Supporting Actor
Hows about...

Disturbed

Skrape

Sevendust

Nonpoint

Marilyn Manson

NIN

Stabbing Westward

Deftones

Spineshank

A Perfect Circle

Filter

Korn

Staind

Monster Magnet

Orgy

Lost Prophets

Prong

Machinehead

Drowning Pool

Gravity Kills

enjoy!!!

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Check out Brian Russ's website. He's been developing it for years. It's the best Metal site on the net, bar none:
BNR Metal Pages
The Laser's Edge is technically a progressive rock site, but they sell a lot of underground metal discs. I often browse their site while going to Amazon to listen to sound clips. :)
I hear a lot of good stuff about the latest Iced Earth album, which features songs about history and is available as both a regular and a 2-disc version (that has an extra epic song about the battle of Gettysburg).
If you're interested in Opeth, their DVD is very inexpensive. Dream Theater's Live At Budokan is one of the best metal DVDs -- actually, it's one of the best concert DVDs, period.

Tony-B

Senior HTF Member
Oh boy, here I go...
The Dillinger Escape Plan
Chimaira
Trivium
Slayer
God Forbid
Metallica
Pantera
Damageplan
Lamb Of God
Shadows Fall
Meshuggah
Soilwork
In Flames
Converge
Black Dahlia Murder
Martyr AD
Between The Buried And Me
Killswitch Engage
Hatebreed
Fear Factory
Mastodon
Unearth
All That Remains
Mudvayne
Mnemic
Slipknot
Spineshank
As I Lay Dying
Every Time I Die
Bury Your Dead
Caliban
That should last you quite some time. ;)

Chris-V

Stunt Coordinator
Another older, somewhat obscure (and likely difficult to fnid) band that did some good heavy alt/industrial/metal-type stuff was Course of Empire. Their best album was probably their second ("Initiation,"), but the S/T first disc and their final "Telepathic Last Words" weren't bad either.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Yeah, Course of Empire were pretty cool.
Another obscure act to look out for was T-Ride. They only released one album, and it was only about 30 minutes long, but man, was it brilliant! Really groovin' stuff -- almost like metal dance music (it was much better than that sounds :) ). Nothing else like it, before or since. I saw them open for Joe Satriani once (the guitarist was his student) -- I was there more for them than for Satch!
Interestingly, the drummer, Eric Valentine, has produced a LOT of other bands since. (I think Queens of the Stone Age is one of them.)

Tim Markley

Screenwriter
Thank you Tony-B! :D Someone finally mentioned Mastodon. One of the best METAL, not hardcore, metalcore, nu-metal, death, etc. bands out there today. Anyone that hasn't heard Leviathan needs to pick it up now! Their earlier CD Remission is also very good.

Chris-V

Stunt Coordinator
How is the album Abigail by King Diamond (or is it Mercyful Fate)? I've been wanting to pick up some stuff by either of those two after hearing the Mercyful Fate Medley on Garage, Inc.
Abigail was a King Diamond solo album, and it was pretty good. His solo stuff is more theatrical/operatic than MF, which tended to be more straight-ahead metal. Odds are if you like one you'll like the other, as they both definitely have his stamp on them. KD's solo stuff went from progressive/frenetic (circa No Presents For Christmas and Abigail, and to some degree Them) to far more melodic (circa Conspiracy and The Eye) to power-chord metal (circa Voodoo). I haven't heard any of his more recent stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks