What's new

Heavy Music Fans -- Suggestions? (1 Viewer)

Bob Morgan

Stunt Coordinator
Opeth
Immortal
Iced Earth
Helloween
Cathedral
Arch Enemy
Anvil
Armoured Saint
Accept
Therion
Thin Lizzy
WASP
I'm almost 40 and have been listening to Metal since I was 15.
No-one I know at home or work listens to Metal. I am alone in my madness :)
Anyway, there are so many bands to listen to.
And thanks to the internet I am able to sample some songs before I decide to buy a CD.
And I would definitely rather have the CD than an MP3.

Paul_Medenwaldt

Supporting Actor
I'm not really into the heavy metal scene anymore, but I do try to keep up with those silly 80's heavy metal bands, but I would recommend Canibal Corpse. They are a Death Metal band. In my opinion they put any death metal band to shame. Their lyrics are grotesque and bizzare. They are heavy and brutal.
They have a new album out or coming out called Gore Obsessed.
I saw them in concert in minneapolis in the mid 90's and thought they put on a good show, but i had to get through 4 other death metal bands before them. Try their earlier material. They have a new lead singer from when i followed them in the early 90's to mid 90's. They have a website:
Link Removed
I don't think you'll be disappointed.
p.s. anything by slayer too!
Paul

Andrew s wells

Second Unit
If you can find them....give Tourniquet a listen. Microscopic view of a telescpoic realm and Pathogenic occualr dissonance are great albums.

Leif Wall

Second Unit
Oh baby, here we go:

In Flames

Emperor

Tristania

Lamb of God

Gorguts

Gorefest

Fleshcrawl

Hate Eternal (only one album, but it's one of the best death metal albums of all time. has members of Morbid Angel in it)

Meshuggah

Opeth

Cephalic Carnage

Six Feet Under

Walls of Jericho (female lead singer who's VERY aggressive)

Snake River Conspiracy (kinda goth-pop almost, good stuff)

Strapping Young Lad

Pissing Razors

Dillinger Escape Plan (must listen)

Shadows Fall

Breach

Cryptopsy

The Gathering

...that should do you for awhile...

Aurel Savin

Supporting Actor
Well you know I had to chip into this:

One of my all time faves besides DEATH is MORBID ANGEL ... i love the flow of their "music" even though it's very intricate. yet all their songs are catchy.

One of my new faves is EMPEROR nad their new album Prometheus.

Also a band from my homeland called NEGURA BUNGET ... this is real underground stuff. They are from Transylvania (I swear) and all their songs are in Romanian. It's atmospheric Black Metal, but they mostly sing about old Romanian history and folklore ... check them out on mp3.com!!!

Eve T

Supporting Actor
I second W.A.S.P Blackie Lawless was crazyeeeeeeee.
I almost forgot to add in Skinny Puppy. It's a bit industrial but very schweeeeet. Also you might check out KMFDM (also on the industrial side) but it rocks hard.
Henry Rollins is one of my personal favs as well.
Ramstein is pretty decent too even if you don't speak German :)

Brad_W

Screenwriter
1. Strapping Young Lad

2. Ocean Machine

3. Infinity

4. Physicist

5. Terria

6. Old Man's Child

7. Punky Bruster

8. Diecast

9. Dillinger's Escape Plan (which I'm going to see live soon because they're big here in Michigan!! Go me!)

10. Drowning Pool

11. Machine Head

12. Vision of Disorder

13. Death

14. Cryptopsy

15. Earth Crisis

16. Stuck Mojo

17. Solstice

18. Massacre

19. Obituary

20. Eye Hate God

21. Deicide

22. Hatebreed

23. Malevolent Creation

24. Dark Angel

25. Cynic

26. Anal Cunt

27. Sinister

28. Skinlab

29. The Gathering

30. Meshuggah

Enjoy.

Rhett_Y

Screenwriter
Here we go...

1. Obituary

2. Morbid Angel

3. Sepultera (pre-arise)

4. Pantera

5. Slayer

6. Death

7. Embrionic Death

8. Fear Factory

9. Six Feet Under

10. Epidemic

11. Cannibal Corpes

12. Lamb of god

13. Down

14. Kittie

15. Epidemic

16. Kill Switch Engaged

17. Static X (a little lighter then alot of the above mentioned bands...)

18. Mushroomhead

19. Mudvayne

20. SoulFly

21. Testament

22. Chimaira

23. Carcass

24. Dimmu Borgir

For a little ligther music..

1. Soil

2. Godsmack

3. Rob Zombie (hillbilly delux)

4. Megadeth

5. A Perfect Circle

6. Disturbed

Kevin T

Screenwriter
i'll second kmfdm though there music is definitely not metal...it's more industrial / technoy

here are some other good bands:

coal chamber

soulfly

sepultura

deicide

ministry

pig

prong

union underground

eve:

did you get the new kmfdm boots single and what did you think of it?

kevin t

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
In my opinion, the best "heavy rock" album of the 90's is:
Refused, The shape of punk to come
I also would say the above suggestion of In Flames is excellent- and if you like IN FLAMES, check out Pankration.
Also, if you want to get into insane tech-metal, try CONVERGE.
-Vince

Dan B

Screenwriter
Boring trivia about moi: I used to be a soundman for a band that covered Stuck Mojo's "Not Promised Tomorrow", Andy. Ahh, those were the days.
-Dan

Eve T

Supporting Actor
Kevin, no I havent' got that album yet. I'm looking into it now.I did mention that KMFDM is more along the lines of industrial but IMO they are pretty hardcore in lyrics and such. I also listed Prong on my list :) I'm friends with Tommy Victor so I'm biassed. I will also second soulfly, Pig, and MINISTRY, friends with Al too, infact I'm listening to "filth pig" this very moment.
Peace,
Eve

Andy Hardin

Stunt Coordinator
Dan B

That is actually pretty cool. I was at Grad school in Columbia SC during Stuck Mojo's "Rising" days. Saw them live 4 times at some of the small clubs in town there. Loved every one of them.

My dumb trivia about them is the bassist gave me a bloody mouth when he jump into the crowd during the encore. His guitar hit me flush in the teeth when he landed. I was about 15 beers in so it didn't faze me a bit. The real funny part was explaining my swollen lip to my MBA classmates was due to the fact I was in the mosh pit at a metal show. Most just looked at me funny.

Kirk Gunn

Screenwriter
So THESE are the bands Bob Seger sang about in his tune "Heavy Music"..... But didn't he write that in the early '70's ?

Brad_W

Screenwriter
About Stuck Mojo: I was able to smoke "the pot" with Bones after a local show they did... needless-to-say, it was a "blast." They were also surrounded by hot women the entire time.
I also forgot to add to my list: Will Haven!!

rob kilbride

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Rob Kilbride
Slayer and Pantera are good bets if you want heavy music. Now this may seem strange but if you're not completely opposed to classical music there are many pieces that I consider just as heavy as metal. Probably the best example is The Rite of Spring by Igor Stravisnky. When it debuted in Paris in 1913(I think), there were riots in the theatre! I'd listen to it first though; see if you can borrow it because I can hardly GUARANTEE a heavy metal fan would like this but its a definite possibility. Do listen to it all the way through though because the first movement is subtle but then it gets heavier. The ends of each of the two parts are very heavy. Let me know if you are interested in any other recommendations.

rob kilbride

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Rob Kilbride
Oh yeah, and you gotta get into my favorite group Rush! Try some of there earlier albums like 2112, Caress of Steel, and Fly By Night for the most metal sound. Then you'll probably want to go by there other 13 studio albums!

Trevor H

Second Unit
My god you guys, don't any of you listen to Zakk Wylde's Black Label Society? If you want straight forward kick-ass metal played by the best guitar player alive then look no further than BLS.
Black Label Society - discography
Sonic Brew - the first and IMO the best, check out the tunes Bored To Tears, Hey You, Peddlers Of Death, Low Down, & No More Tears
Stronger Than Death - check out 13 Years of Grief, Rust, Superterrorizer, Counterfeit God, Stronger Than Death, & Love Reign Down
Alcohol Fueled Brewtality Live!! + 5 - this is a 2 disc set, the first disc is an incredible live concert, the second is 5 studio tracks that include awesome covers of Neil Young's Heart Of Gold and Black Sabbath's Snowblind
1919 Eternal - coming out March 5th
Do yourself a favor and pick up these CD's, you won't be sorry.

ChristianW

Stunt Coordinator
Cradle of Filth

Morbid Angel

Testament

Blood Duster (this is an Aussie band that I think have released their most recent album in the states.)

Cradle of Filth

Deicide

Cannibal Corpse

Brujeria

Nile

In Flames

Cradle of Filth

Bolt Thrower

and

Meshuggah

Just to name a few.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks