What's new

Heavenly Creatures: More Bad News (1 Viewer)

Stacey

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the information Marc.
Don't you just LOVE when they delay these things for stupid reasons. *fume* :angry:

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Marc Colella

Senior HTF Member
Since Swingers: SE is also delayed in Canada - I decided to order that and Hevenly Creatures from Amazon.com.

I'll get it earlier, without bilingual packaging and for a cheaper price.

I'd rather not go this route, but Alliance is forcing me to. At least it isn't costing me more money to do so.

Sam Davatchi

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
SamD
Just got the new DVD! I’m a total newbie when it comes to Heavenly Creatures, so what version is this uncut version that is released on DVD?

RaulR

Stunt Coordinator
Heavenly Creatures has been delayed in Canada.
No doubt due to Alliance making a bilingual version for Canada.
I just hope that isn't the reason why "A Hard Day's Night" is coming out a week later up here. If it is... :angry:

Jussi Tarvainen

Second Unit
Sam Davatchi: it's the original 109-minute New Zealand cut. The U.S. release was trimmed by about 10 minutes by Jackson at Miramax honcho Harvey Weinstein's behest. Jackson later commented that he liked the U.S. cut better, but I prefer the longer cut.

Jean-Michel

Supporting Actor
So after much ado and wait, we are not getting the good version after all?
I wouldn't say that. Jackson has been rather equivocal on the matter, saying that the Miramax cut is better "in a way." What that means only he knows; presumably he doesn't want to offend Weinstein (although Weinstein obviously has a sense of humor about it, cf. the cameo in Forgotten Silver). Anyway most people are of the opinion that the original cut is superior so we are getting the "good" version. Whether or not it's the version Jackson would prefer us to see, I don't know.

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
Just watched this last night and the "new" material doesn't really add all that much to the film. However, it is interesting to see and having it incorporated back into the movie isn't a big deal. :)

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
I do have a problem with this matting of 1.66:1 to 2.35 though. Unless someone links an interview with Jackson or his DP saying that they wanted it that way, I don't see the point of matting something so far from it's original aspect ratio (again, this is under the assumption that this 1.66.1 to 2.35 ratio wasn't the filmmakers original intent, it just might have been).

I must admit however that the transfer looks pretty good.

BTW, I think that final shot adds immensely to the over all feeling of the film.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Josh.1983
Recent bookmarks