What's new

headphones? (1 Viewer)

mackie

Supporting Actor
Yeah - you can listen in another room with no problems.

I don't know about the simulated 5.1 surround with headphones. I've never tried it.

You're making a good choice with the 580s. They really do sound amazing.

I just did a search and find that Headsave is no longer in business:frowning: I have one of the portable models and it's a great little amp. Really haven't kept up with headphone amps, so I can't make a recommendation.

Headfi is a good forum and can help guide your choice.

Michael.M.C

Stunt Coordinator

Remember, with open cans, not only do they leak sound but you'll also hear outside sound but from what you describe I think you'll like the HD580's. Make sure you break them in. That can be done by plugging them into something for a couple of days of sound before using.

Never heard the 5.1's but I think they are a lot of hype. You're better off using a Sennheiser DSP Pro if you want a surround with your 580's. Or you could try these: http://gear.ign.com/articles/583/583114p1.html

They used to sell the HD580s and the DSP Pro as a package deal. Don't know if anyone still has one of these sets.

BTW, you can never own enough headphones and make certain you have a good extension cord. No cheapies there!!! ;)

Amps: http://www4.head-fi.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=55

Justin Ward

Supporting Actor
I'd recommend you get Alessandro Grado MS-2s or Grado SR-325s if you can stretch your budget to $300. In my opinion, you get a large increase in build quality with the metal Grados. I run Grado SR-325s(which have been re-cabled by me with 20 gauge silver-plated, teflon coated wire) which are connected to a Pioneer SACD/CD player and a DIY Pimeta amplifier.

Here's a pic of my re-cabled SR-325s(metal Grados look very sexy IMO) My SR-325s are actally pretty modified. The model button has been removed so the grill is just bare metal and I installed a new headband and re-cabled. I have 3 types of pads; bowls, flats, and modded Sennheiser 414 pads. The flats are my favorites, but most expensive at about $30.:

-Justin

Mark gas

Second Unit
I have a pair of SR 80’s and they really show how bad some music is recorded. Some songs I used to listen too all the time I have to skip because the sound so bad with these headphones. If you get a good pair of headphones make sure you have good source material to go with it.

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
Try to avail yourself the opportunity to try them at home (money back and all that) to evaluate how they feel when wearing them for extended periods of time and pay close attention to how they fit over your ears which can cause one model or brand to sound better to you.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks