headphones?

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by William_Gravem, Mar 14, 2005.

1. William_Gravem

William_Gravem Stunt Coordinator

I apologize in advance if this isn't the proper section for this thread.

Last night my wife went to sleep, and I was listening to music while working. To be curious, I turned off the music. I suspect this is likely going to happen more often, so good headphones is probably a good investment.

Essentially, I want to know if good headphones are really any good? What brands should I consider? How do headphones handle movies? Are there questions I'm not asking but should be?

I'd probably be willing to spend about $200-$250, but am more about performance per dollar, and if there's no significant difference between a $150 and a $250 pair of headphones, I'd prefer not to waste the money.

Any advice is welcome.

---Bill

2. Rogelio D

Rogelio D Agent

I just ordered some SR-80's which are quite a bit cheaper than what you're looking at -- info can be found here.

http://www.gradolabs.com/frameset_main.htm

They have some more expensive models that might be to your liking.

Or if you do a search on here, there are some other threads with several different other models/brands mentioned.

I had the wife pick me up some cheap ones from a department store and they really were terrible, so I'm hoping the one's I have on order are significantly better. As far as the more expensive models, maybe someone else can help.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

3. William_Gravem

Good advice, I poked around at some of the older thread on the topic... as expected, I now have more quesitons than I did before.

(proving myself a complete novice) what's the difference between open and closed?

4. DavidNighorn

DavidNighorn Stunt Coordinator

Sennheiser hd 212Pro. These run about $75 and I am incredibly impressed. They are very transparent and have very good bass response. Combined with my ipod, apple lossless, and good source material, these headphones rival both of my listening rooms. I am sure that there are much better 'phones out there. But for $75, these are an absolute bargain.

David

5. mackie

mackie Supporting Actor

Check out the Headfi Forum. This is where I go to find out info on headphones, portables and headphone amps.

http://www.head-fi.org/

I own Seinheiser HD 580s - awesome set of cans.

6. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

You can get way better sound per dollar spent from headphones than from a stereo. However headphones can't produce the same imaging/soundstage a good stereo setup can.

http://www.headphone.com/layout.php?topicID=13

Closed and sealed are the same thing.

I really like the Grado SR-60 cans I have, but I can't wear them for extended periods of time. If you have a reasonably quiet environment, I think open circumaural cans are the best option. With that budget I'd recommend you look at the Sennheiser HD-555 or HD-595.

Also consider a seperate headphone amp with a good crossfeed circuit (http://www.headphone.com/layout.php?topicID=36)

7. Robert_Dufresne

Robert_Dufresne Stunt Coordinator

Grado headphones have a great reputation for amazing sound and also for being uncomfortable over long periods. I would go with Sennheiser. Look at the wireless models.

8. Lev-S

Lev-S Second Unit

Grado SR-80s! Sweet headphones, sweet price.

9. justin bendel

i recently bought some 150 dollar sennheiser hd580s
    im very pleased with them
    nice full sound
    they get pretty good praise from the people at headfi forums
    and if you want to take the next step up the hd600s can be found for around 250 i think

10. William_Gravem

Thank you all very much for the advice! Sounds like Grado and Sennheiser are both good bets. I'm thinking of the Sennheiser HD 580.

How important is a headphone amp? The headphones would be pluged into an Onkyo 601. Also, aren't there a variety of head phone jacks, would this be able to plug into my ipod?

Also, does anyone know how long the cord is? I have a deck off of my living room where I smoke cigars, and wouldn't mind using the headphones to listen to music while I'm out there.

Dustin, very helpful sites, thank you.

11. Tim Hoover

Tim Hoover Screenwriter

I also own a pair of Grado SR60s and love them to death. However, unlike some other posters, I don't find them the least bit uncomfortable for extended listening situations.

12. Arcadiy Kantor

Most all headphones in this price range come with an adapter for listening to them either through the smaller portable-sized jacks or the larger jacks like that you might find on your receiver. As you can see at their listing on Amazon, these come with the following contents in the box: HD 580-1 headphones, 1 adaptor to .25-inch stereo jack plug.

The cord on them (also according to Amazon) is 10 feet long.

13. mackie

mackie Supporting Actor

The HD 580s will need a headphone amp with your Ipod. That's the one drawback to them. They'll sound fine without one, but to get full performance from them an amp is required.

Check out Headsave. Good amps at a good price.

If you want a longer cord, you can buy an extension, and the the 580s come with an adapter so they'll fit in your receiver's as well as your Ipods headphone jacks.

They really are a remarkable set of cans.

14. Michael.M.C

Michael.M.C Stunt Coordinator

Sennheisers are excellent choices, I have had the HD580's and just bought a set of HD600's that J&R had on sale for $200 BUT, are you sure you want open cans as these are? If you do, then go for it (price shop for they do come up in a lot of sales),

But, if you don't want others nearby, i.e. your wife, hearing noise you want closed cans. Sennheiser makes some decent ones but Sony, I think, has better closed cans.

Grado makes good cans but if I were you, I would try them on before buying.

As far as the Onkyo 601, the cans will work fine with no additional amp, although true audiophiles might disagree, but you'll definately need an amp for the ipod.

Here's another site to peruse: http://headwize.com/

15. Don Scott

Don Scott Stunt Coordinator

I have Sennheiser HD 280 pro's and love them. No one will hear your music and you won't hear them. They sound great, really detailed and are comfortable, I wear mine for 2 or 3 hours at a time. I got mine for $200 a little over a year ago, they maybe less now.

16. MikeLi

MikeLi Supporting Actor

I have two great sets of phones that rarely get used anymore but sounded super. I always hated dealing with the cord and having to get out of bed and such. I ran across some Advent RF wireless headphones for like $69.00 with free shipping online through one of the big houses when I did a search for Advent wireless headphones. Anyway for TV and movie watching they are a 10, comfort I would give them a 9 and for noise outside the cans like for the wife to hear is nonexistent so they work great. I am very happy with them for this. Now I would not use them for critical music listening but even if you did you would be surprised at what you get out of these cheap things. Even comes with rechargeable batteries and charger. Just turn them off and leave them on my head board.

17. William_Gravem

Thank you all for the great advice! One more question, with open cans, like the Sennheiser HD 580, how much sound leakage will there be?

18. mackie

mackie Supporting Actor

Depends on how loud you listen to them.

At reasonable levels someone across a medium sized room won't notice. You won't be able to play too loud without disturbing your wife if you listen in bed.

19. William_Gravem

Ok, that's not too bad. I can still enjoy movies and music in the room adjacent to the bedroom if I'm up late working (or up late watching movies.)

Now, I've also heard about headphones that are supposed to simulate 5.1... do those really work? It just seems awfully similar to Bose's "virtual surround sound" crap.

Thanks again for your help on this. Looks like I should get the Sennheiser, an extension cord, and an amp. Will just about any amp do? I've noticed these can be quite pricey.

20. MikeLi

MikeLi Supporting Actor

If your going to use and extension cord anyway just pick an extra out on your receiver or pre/pro in the back if it does not have a headphone jack on the front and get an RCA adapter to what ever you extension cord has and your good. Unplug when done from the extension and just leave it plugged in all the time. Wont hurt a thing.