What's new

HDTV STB needed w/OAS? (1 Viewer)

Anthony GT

Stunt Coordinator
I'm trying to get up to speed on HDTV because I want to purchase a new RPTV soon and I'm looking at the Mit. WS65857 or WS65807, Toshiba 65H80 or 65H81, and the Sony HS models.
I'm not planning on going to DBS anytime soon so if I wanted to receive HD I need to get an HDTV antennae first. Then do I need a STB also or is only needed for DBS?
Also, where can I find out what my local stations(Baltimore) are broadcasting in HDTV? If I could get the NFL in HD I would be sold.
I'm afraid that the WS models will not look that great with my regular cable signal, which is the one thing the Sony seems to excel at.
Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!
Anthony
[Edited last by Anthony GT on August 13, 2001 at 12:13 PM]

Mike I

Supporting Actor
The sets you are looking at are HD ready and therefore you need a HD set top box to receive your local digital channels...You can go to www.titantv.com and put in your zip and get the status of local digital channels in your area...Although I know Baltimore is now all digital which would go you all the CBS HD programming...
Only Samsung currently makes an HD stb which is for over the air only, the others are also a satalite also but except of the dish network HD stb you do not have to subcribe to satellite service..
------------------
[Edited last by Mike I on August 14, 2001 at 09:31 AM]

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
FYI, Samsung is offering a $100 rebate on the SIR-T150 HD set top box for all purchases through 8/31/01. I just ordered one from Link Removed for $514 shipped, so my final cost will be $414.
Now, I just have to wait for the college football season to start (thanks, CBS).
------------------
My DVD Collection
AFI 100 Films to watch: 40 -> 7

Anthony GT

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the info guys.
So the Baltimore stations all have the capability to broadcast in HDTV. I just need to find out what shows/sports each network is showing in HDTV.
Also, is OTA HDTV signal strength any better/worse than traditional OTA? Meaning, if I couldn't get a decent reception OTA for analog TV would I expect an OTA HDTV to come in any better assuming the antennae is in the same place?
Anthony

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
balajipackersmovers
Recent bookmarks