HDTV set top decoder boxes.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jeff Adams, Mar 22, 2001.

1. Jeff Adams

Jeff Adams Screenwriter

Hey guys. I was wondering if anyone knew if there is a set top HDTV decoder box that has the TIVO service built in with it. Iknow Sony has the Sat T-60 with TIVO but it is not HDTV. And then they have the SatHD100 with no TIVO. I want one with both.
    ------------------
    "I'm your Huckelberry"

2. Mike I

Mike I Supporting Actor

There are currently no recording devices for hd at this time including HD decoders with built in recording devices..Chances are there may never be because of copyright issues...
    ------------------

3. Jeff Adams

Jeff Adams Screenwriter

So what you are saying is that if I wanted to be able to record shows from Directv,I would need a normal receiver with tivo like Sonys SATT-60 and the a second receiver just for hdtv? Like Sonys new SATHD-100.
    ------------------
    "I'm your Huckelberry"

4. CRyan

CRyan Screenwriter

That is correct. Or you could go with a standalone Tivo/Replay product and your HD STB. I would think that eventually, as HD becomes more prevelant, you will see TIVO/HD STB's. However, the likelyhood that STB will record the HD stream is doubtfull (will only be able to record SD or maybe even HD downconverted to 480i).
    C. Ryan
    ------------------
    [​IMG]

5. Mike I

Mike I Supporting Actor

You could use your Hd direct tv decoder and record to a stand alone device as long as the decoder was in standard mode and not hd mode....
    ------------------

6. Jeff Adams

Jeff Adams Screenwriter

I can see RCA or Sony coming out with an all in one box. Mike says that they might never come out with a recording device that records HDTV which is fine for now, but I can see them coming out with an HDTV receiver with the TIVO service built into it. But it will only record standard satellite broadcasts, not any HDTV broadcasts. So I think for right now I will hold off on any new receiver and wait till an all in one box comes out.
    ------------------
    "I'm your Huckelberry"