What's new

Can My TV Play a Blu-ray Disc at 1080i? (2 Viewers)

Ryan*Pr*

Agent
I have a Hitachi 57F500A TV. It has a DVI-D dual link input (no HDMI). The manual says this is :

"DVI-HDTV Input (Input 1):
Use this DVI-HDTV Input for your external devices with DVI-HDTV output such as a Set-Top-Box, high-band DTV decoders, DVD players and D-VHS with Digital Content Protection."

Does the statement above means it is HDCP compliant to display 1080i?

Also, I have been reading and it sounds like I should buy a HDMI to DVI-D single link cable such as For only $3.78 each when QTY 50+ purchased - HDMI DVI Cable 28AWG - 10ft w/Ferrite Cores (Gold-Plated) | 28AWG HDMI-DVI Cables
Can cables such as this carry the HDCP signal?

So - all in all - can I play Blu-ray at 1080i with this TV?

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Maybe
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

The current batch of Blu-Rays should play fine on your TV (I have the 51" version of your TV). If they ever decide to enforce the restrictions on HDMI, then I'm not sure. It may work.... Even if it does not, you can still use Component. Only downside to component is DVDs will not be upscaled.

So yes, you can with the HDMI/DVI cable right now. In the future you may have to use component cables.

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
Blu-ray players will blank the (analog) component video outputs or cut the resolution in half horizontally and in half vertically when playing a disk with the copy protect flag turned on.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chpsen
Recent bookmarks