What's new

HDTV Questions (1 Viewer)

ChirsGranville

Auditioning
Hey all!

Firstly, what is HDCP? And will I need it to play a PS3 and veiw my laptop on a HDTV screen when used with a HDMI/DVI connection? What advantages does it have?

Secondly, is there any noticeable difference between 1080i and 1080p?

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
HDCP is High Definition Copy protection. It is built into HDMI which is the High Definition Multimedia interface that carries both DVI and audio on it.

You may or may not need it for PS3. For Blu Ray you will but for PS3 games you may not. It really depends but right now I would have it just to be sure.

You shouldn't need it to view your laptop on your TV.

Secondly, your 1080I/P question is a bit loaded because we all view and hear things differently and evaluate them differently. IMHO the answer is unknown because we don't have any 1080P material to play with and compare with 1080I material.

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
You may not have a choice regarding non-1080p display when it comes to some TV types and screen sizes.

But if you do have a choice, the 1080p TV will cost more. IMHO 1080p is not worth spending the extra money for unless there is a HDCP compliant 1080p input or you are absolutely sure the mandatory conversion to 1080p inside is of good quality.

Near 1080p quality video signals can be affordably made from existing 1080i using some of today's video processor scaler technology. If the making of that 1080p signal occurs outside the TV, there has to be a way of getting it into the TV.

Video hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks