What's new

HDTV Antenna? (1 Viewer)

ScottSchrader

Auditioning
Was wondering if anyone was using a HDTV antenna? I have a old antenna on my house, back when I didnt have cable for a summer. The channels it got were clear as cable, on my old 27". I now have a 57" Sony HDTV. Would this work for my TV? I currently have digital cable, I also get 3 channels of HDTV from the same box. But I would like to try and get my local channels to look better. Any advice? Where would I hook the antenna up to, right to the TV?

Thanks!

Scott

GaryP

Second Unit
Scott,
First things first, you're going to need a UHF antenna. Depending on where your stations are transmitting from in relation to your house you can choose an antenna accordingly. Try AntennaWeb to help you in the selction of the right antenna. A nice indoor solution is the Silver Sensor, anything in regards to an outdoor antenna is better left into the hands of someone other than me :).

As far as your TV goes, does it have a built in HD tuner, or is it just HD-ready? If it's the former, you should have a coax input where you would connect the antenna. If it's the latter, you'd have to connect it to your STB, in which case, I'm not sure cable boxes will decode OTA signals, I know satellite receivers do, but not positive on cable boxes.

Gary

:) I LIVE JUST ON THE FRINGE OF MADISON WI AND I HAD A HARD TIME GETTING HD STATIONS IN.I TRYED ALOT OF ANTENNAS AND
GOT A ZENITH SILVER AT BEST BUY.ITS SMALL AND WORKS GREAT.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
Another vote for the Silver Sensor. The Radio Shack VHF/UHF antenna I bought was practically worthless and the double bow-tie didn't do anything (at least it only cost me $1).

The SS pulled in the 2 HD channels I get without needing to play around excessively with placement.

Of course, I'm 12 miles from NYC, so YMMV when it comes to indoor antennas.

GaryP

Second Unit
Scott,
Your TV's model number would help out a bit. Are you certain it has an integrated tuner? A coax antenna input doesn't necessarily denote an HD input. That being said, I'm inclined to believe the antenna you have would receive the UHF band, which would work.

Gary

Justin Hargis

Stunt Coordinator
The KP57WS500 has an NTSC tuner, not an ATSC tuner. The ATSC tuner will allow you to pick up OTA HDTV channels in your area. So, in order to pick up these OTA HDTV channels, you'll need the help of an external ATSC tuner.

By the way, most HDTVs don't have the ATSC tuners built in, just a handful of higher end models will.

You have a nice TV! :)
Can't wait till I get one.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks