What's new

Looking for a High Quality Digital TV Converter to Replace My Insignia NS-DXA1. (1 Viewer)

KoshN

Agent
Real Name
Mac Breck
When my Insignia NS-DXA1 died, I replaced it with an RCA DTA800B1 from off the shelf at Wal-Mart. The RCA unit is vastly inferior, 90% of the time freezing with no sound, coming back with video but no audio, and when it loses audio it does an annoying reverb. Hell, the tuner in my Insignia LCD HD TV is better than the RCA, and it wasn't as good as the NS-DXA1.

Anybody know of a sensitive, high quality digital converter I can use to feed my DVD Recorder/VCR combo?

ps. The signal is OTA from a LAVA HD-2605 Ultra HDTV Antenna.

Last edited:

Bob Gu

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bob Gudera
My Ematic Digital Converter Box is plugged into a DVD/VCR. It does act up sometimes. If there is a reception interruption it may change channels or a weak signal caption comes up and gets recorded on the VCR. (You have to turn it off and back on to get rid of the caption.) Overall I like the Ematic because it has USB video playback, so I can playback videos I've downloaded from youtube, on my old CRT TV (Transferred to a USB drive from the computer.) You can also play back files you have taken from a bad DVD-R. (Transferred from the DVD-R to the computer to the USB drive.) The Ematic has a USB recording function, but I have not tried it yet. The Ematic is available at Amazon along with other brands of converters that also have the USB video playback. Read the customer comments for more technical info.

Last edited:

KoshN

Agent
Real Name
Mac Breck
Why not replace it with a new Insignia?

Same model? I was hoping for something better. While the NS-DXA1 was better than the RCA DTA800B1, it was by no means great. The NS-DXA1 would pixilate and lose sound, and it seemed to be able to sense important dialogue or events and lose signal right there.

On a scale of 1-10, I'd give the NS-DXA1 a 7, my Insignia TV a 5, and the RCA DTA800B1 a 2.

KoshN

Agent
Real Name
Mac Breck
Thanks. I'll look into the Ematic.

Re. switching channels all by itself, my Insignia NS-DXA1 did that, too. I'd have it set to timer record 11.2 Me-TV and it'd lose signal and switch to 11.1 NBC or 11.3 Laff. I'd have rather have had it stay where it was and record no signal until the signal came back. Instead, when I got home, I found it recorded stuff I didn't want and often couldn't stand. I even tried to force it to stay on 11.2 by deleting 11.1 & 11.3 from the favorites (channels you could channel surf) but it did no good. If I physically deleted 11.1 or 11.3 (from the scan), 11.2 was deleted, too. ARGH!

Last edited:

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
You might be better off just replacing it with a TIVO ROMIO OTA, and be done with recording to DVD or VHS.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks