What's new

HDR & Home Calibration... your help please! (1 Viewer)

Bleddyn Williams

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bleddyn Williams
Hello all!

I recently decided to upgrade my aging home theatre. The first thing I did was get a 65" LG OLED E7 TV (following some guidance from our own Gregg Loewen).

Until I can get a professional calibration from Gregg, I used Spears and Muncil to do a home calibration. This will do me for now, but HDR confuses me...

You can't calibrate HDR with the S&M disc, as HDR only kicks in on my TV when there is an HDR source - in this case, my Samsung K-8500 player.

So you can only adjust the settings by eye, or use settings posted on the internet. Interestingly enough a few sources suggest leaving the OLED Light & Contrast at 100%, with Brightness at about 50%.

I went with this for a while but noticed UHDs like Cars 3 & Westworld had pretty blinding highlights. I've turned OLED Light & Contrast down to 80 for now, but am wondering if someone has some informed numbers for HDR settings?

If you have an LG E7, what settings did you use for your HDR material?

Thanks for any help you can give!

Bleddyn

Last edited by a moderator:

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Welcome to the crazy world of 4k. My head is still spinning since I got mine in January. My Vizio has discrete calibration settings for HDR, DV, SD, and HD. And they keep upgrading the firmware which changes the picture ever so slightly. I give up.:(

Bleddyn Williams

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bleddyn Williams
Thanks! I seem to just have settings for regular HD & HDR. I've been searching for HDR settings, but haven't seen anything except 100% OLED & 100% Contrast, which seems a bit retina-scorching. The search for knowledge continues!

Surely someone at the HTF has some nuggets of wisdom?

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Reviewer
Real Name
Dave Upton
Bleddyn,

Unfortunately, the only way to calibrate the HDR accurately is with a colorimeter. That said, I did find one site with some suggested settings:

upload_2017-11-21_7-33-51.png

source: https://www.flatpanelshd.com/review.php?subaction=showfull&id=1497846918#3

Bleddyn Williams

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bleddyn Williams
Thanks for that, Dave! I hadn't found that site. However, as if to illustrate the confusion between SDR & HDR, I believe the settings above to be for SDR.

Having said that, I copied the OLED light and Contrast settings and it did tame the eye-scorching somewhat. Cheers!

gadgtfreek

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason
I bought a Spectracal C6 HDR200 and Calman, and use Masciola's SDR and HDR discs as my generator in the Oppo 203. Masciola's HDR disc has a ton of patterns, works well.

This was to get me by until Chad B comes out on 11/30.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks