What's new

HDMI, Video, Handshake issue....Not really sure.... (1 Viewer)

droopee

Auditioning
Real Name
Joe Wallace
I really hate to be the guy that signs up for a forum just to ask for advice, but I have been battling an issue for some time now, and I can't seem to figure it out...Please help/give me some ideas....

I currently have a DISH Network VIP722K DVR that is connected to a Marantz SR4003 receiver through HDMI, that then outputs to a Vizio D55n-E2 TV through HDMI. When I turn on all the equipment, I get no screen or sound at all, and the receiver just sits trying to acquire a signal. If I turn off the TV, the receiver immediatly obtains the audio signal from the DVR and plays the audio, but as soon as I turn the TV back on, the receiver loses audio again...It will sit like that for roughly 2 minutes before there is any output to the TV....The weird part is that if I take the receiver out of the mix, it is instant picture and sound on the TV. If I take the TV out of the mix, it is instant sound through the reciever. I am really not sure what to do at this point.

I had someone suggest that it could be an issue with ARC from the TV, but I am pretty sure that is disabled in the TV's settings. Short of purchasing an HDMI switcher, I am at a loss, but I am still not convinced that an HDMI switcher would even solve the issue. The reason why I can't go directly from the DVR to the TV and back into the reciever is because I have an XBox and a BluRay player also running through the receiver....

Please any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated, as I have been fighting with this issue for a little over a month at this point....

Thanks,
-Joe

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I really hate to be the guy that signs up for a forum just to ask for advice, but I have been battling an issue for some time now, and I can't seem to figure it out...

We get some of our best members that way, Joe! :D

:welcome: to the HTF!

We've got a bunch of knowledgeable people here who will be able to walk you through this. Unfortunately, I'm not one of them! :laugh:

You did good describing the way things are hooked-up. But are you using external speakers connected to the receiver to play back the audio coming from the DVR, Xbox and Blu player? Or are you depending upon the TV's speakers for your audio?

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Oh. And have you tried different HDMI cables? People DO run into bad cables sometimes.

If you haven't done so, you could just move some around between your different sources and see if the problems moves.

droopee

Auditioning
Real Name
Joe Wallace
Hi Mike,

I am using external speakers through the receiver (Paradigm Cinema 110). I tried 3 different HDMI cables, and even purchased a new one just to verify that the others were functional. It still did the same...I have been doing some research online, and I am kind of convinced that ARC/CEC may have something to do with it, so I have located a couple of HDMI to DVI converters, and will try sticking that between the receiver and the TV. If I am not mistaken, that will strip out the ARC(audio) channel, and see if that allows everything to work correctly. Since the receiver is an older receiver, and it is not ARC compliant, I am hopeful that this may solve my issue....

Thanks,
-Joe

droopee

Auditioning
Real Name
Joe Wallace
So, update...The HDMI to DVI converters did nothing....But a little google search also proved that my theory was wrong, and audio can be sent over a DVI cable....Soooo I went the route of trying to bend pin 13 out of the way, and my clumsy implimentation ended up butchering my HDMI cable that was run through the wall etc etc....My wife was not too happy about having a cable hanging in sight, so my night was spent running a new HDMI cable through the wall....This brings me to a couple of options....

1. Buy a "CEC less" HDMI cable/adapter that has no pin 13 and see if that fixes the issue...
2. Buy an HDMI switcher that would bypass the receiver for HDMI switching, and run a TosLink cable from the TV to the receiver for audio....

The problem is, I am unsure if either of these solutions would solve my problem....

xx Brian xx

Second Unit
Real Name
Brian
I suspect the problem has more to do with the fact that the SR4003 is HDMI 1.3a compliant and not HDMI 2.0. You can run the Dish box with component cables and then run component cables to the TV and it would work.

I don't see option 1 working. Option 2 would work.

Brian

droopee

Auditioning
Real Name
Joe Wallace
I suspect the problem has more to do with the fact that the SR4003 is HDMI 1.3a compliant and not HDMI 2.0. You can run the Dish box with component cables and then run component cables to the TV and it would work.

I don't see option 1 working. Option 2 would work.

Brian

Thanks for the reply Brian. I agree that it probably has something to do with the different HDMI standards...I have gone ahead and ordered this https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07B8YDRX1, and am planning to allow that to do all my HDMI switching, and connect straight to the TV. I will then run audio back to the receiver from the TV with a toslink cable. I hate to just keep adding equipment, but this should simplify the entire setup, and hopefully alleviate my issues....I will report back when all has arrived and been installed....

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks