What's new

HDMI Splitters (1 Viewer)

ChuckyMan

Agent
Real Name
Charles Wilson
I am looking for an hdmi splitter that has automatic switching and that also does 4K at 60hz. Are there any ? Most of the ones I find only do 4K at 30hz. Is there really much of a difference ? I'm looking to plug an Amazon firestick and, sometimes, a PS4 Pro in at the same time. I have a switcher right now, but you have to push a button to switch input.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
The FireStick may cause a problem as it is an “always on” device, even when it goes into sleep mode. Auto switch works when it detects a voltage change.

That on top of the fact that (even manual) HDMI switching/synching can be a bit flakey and/or slow as it is to also try to have the switching done automatically, especially if the OP cares about going w/ frame rates (and whatever other A/V attributes) original to the source content and not have all of them (pre)converted to be the same in source devices (though maybe the OP doesn't care?).

IF one must go for it (and actually want good results), I'd suggest trying to look for something that can cache and/or preset the EDID info for each port, if possible, to help w/ the synching -- if all your sources will output the exact same video format, then maybe just one manual, overall preset would be enough, which is probably easier to find in a decent (matrixed) switcher/splitter.

But do be wary that any splitter device might possibly alter the signal somehow (as I found out the one time I tried 2 separate units of such a (manual) matrixed switcher before giving up and just upgrading my prepro sooner than expected to handle the switching)...

_Man_

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Honestly, I tend to doubt it's realistically doable, adding to the last couple of posts. For one thing, hdmi is a secure connection, and it wants communication whenever the device is alive, which a Fire Stick will be all the time. Even when it's "asleep" or inactive. There's always the possibility of a solution, but if it exists, I suspect it's more inconvenient than what you are trying to avoid.

You didn't provide any info on the rest of the system, which we need in order to try and find an alternative.

ChuckyMan

Agent
Real Name
Charles Wilson
Honestly, I tend to doubt it's realistically doable, adding to the last couple of posts. For one thing, hdmi is a secure connection, and it wants communication whenever the device is alive, which a Fire Stick will be all the time. Even when it's "asleep" or inactive. There's always the possibility of a solution, but if it exists, I suspect it's more inconvenient than what you are trying to avoid.

You didn't provide any info on the rest of the system, which we need in order to try and find an alternative.
no system, just a tv. the switcher is plugged into the tv and the firestick is plugged into the switcher.
I have a switcher I bought years ago, in another room, if I have my PS4 plugged in and turn my PS3 on, it will switch to the tv. Looking for something similar.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks