What's new

HDMI Signal Problem - Help !!!!!! (1 Viewer)

jjw white66

Auditioning
Real Name
jeff
Just purchased a Yamaha RXV571, 7.1 Receiver. Hooked it to new 42" LG LCD. I hooked up an HDMI cable from the HD cable Box to the Receiver and a HDMI cable from the Receiver to the TV. Problem is when I change channels, there is a delay anywhere from 15- 45 seconds before the picture shows up and the sounds cuts in and out. Other than that all appears good, but very annoying. Anyone have any ideas what I can do to fix ???? Thanks,

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Sounds like the receiver is having trouble locking on to the signals. Try doing a Factory Reset on the 571. The procedure should be listed somewhere in the manual. If you do, it will revert all settings back to the factory default settings. If a reset procedure isn't available try un-plugging the receiver for 30 min. This probably won't help any but it's easy to do :blush: To narrow the problem down to the receiver try plugging the cable box directly into the display just to see what happens. You could also have a bad hdmi cable(s) but I'm not sure if a bad cable would cause your problem.

govtdog

Auditioning
Real Name
Jack Morris
I've found that sometimes the HDMI handshake doesn't go very well and alot depends on the HDTV in some cases. It gets even more complicated if you first run the HDMI signal through your receiver prior to forwarding it to your HDTV. Occasionally, I have to reach around the HDTV and unplug and then replug the HDMI connection to the HDTV too. :( If I were you and had this option, I'd probably connect the HDMI directly from the TV signal source(cable or satellite) and then also run a seperate connection to my audio setup... even if that means an analog L/R audio connection to my TV.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Jeff,

Welcome to our forum. Hope you stick around and talk
about your new receiver, display and the movies you watch

with them.

Good advice given here thus far.

HDMI handshaking can be rather complicated at times.

Even when I switch inputs on my equipment, I get seconds

of interruption as the equipment syncs with each other. Your

predicament sounds fairly worse than what others usually

experience.

Brian McHale

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian McHale
Sounds like you need to change a setting on your cable box. Usually, there's some settings that allows you to choose 1080i, 720p, etc. One of these choices is something like "source", which means the box will change what it's outputting depending on the source material, which can change from 1080i to 720p to 480i as you change channels. The reason you might want to use this setting is that your TV (or outboard video processor) might do a better job of upconverting than your cable box. The downside is that it will take a while for your other gear (TV, AVR, etc.) to adjust. If you set your cable box to output either 720p or 1080i all the time, I suspect your problem will go away.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks