What's new

HDMI Receiver - Denon, Marantz or others?! (1 Viewer)

cctyu

Agent
Real Name
Charles Yu
In my quest to update my current home theater system, I have narrowed down my choice for a 7.1 ch HDMI Digital A/V Receiver to either the Marantz SR5001 or the Denon AVR-2807 ( based on quality, power and price considerations). So far I wasn't able to visit a store that carries both. Naturally, the store that carries Marantz gave Denon a thumb's down and vice versa. I'm also looking for a universal player with HDMI 1080i or p upconversion. Again, its a toss up between the Marantz DV6600 and Denon's DVD-1920. HDTV etc magazine gave the Denon duo a rating of 97/100. To-date, I havn't read any review on the Marantz sets. Based on my 10 years old experience with both products, I'm inclined to lean towards Marantz, however, I understand Denon has come a long way since. Decisions?!..decisions?!..decisions?! Can any fellow forum members help me out?! Many Thanks!

Nick:G

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Nick Gallegos

It's funny you say that because Denon and Marantz are owned by the same company (D&M Holdings, who also happens to own McIntosh Labs)!

The company I work for had a change in ownership last October. Before the acquisition, we were a Marantz dealer. Afterwards, we changed to Denon.

In my experience with both brands, they are very similar in many aspects, but Marantz tends to put a bigger emphasis on audio performance. That's where you pony up the extra cash for a product that is about 80-90% the same. Case in point: the Denon DVD-1930CI (the replacement for the DVD-1920 you mentioned) and the Marantz DV-6600 are virtually identical, aside from a couple of minor things. The Marantz model costs over $200 more.

However, Marantz does have a better factory warranty on their products than Denon (3 years versus 1 year).

cctyu

Agent
Real Name
Charles Yu
Many thanks for your input! I'm aware of the Denon/Marantz merger. However, the store I went to is a Marantz dealer (American Sound of Canada!!)and does not carry any Denon products. Obviously the salesman would like to get my business, so his sales pitch was Marantz biased. After reading your helpful posting, I'm definitely going to check out the Denon DVD-1930CI. Hope its available in Canada.

GregoriusM

Second Unit
I've had Denon receivers and listened to the latest Denon receivers. I'm biased toward Marantz if you listen to music. Both are great on movies. IMHO.

rocky3son

Auditioning
Real Name
Marino
I've purchase the Marantz SR5001 from American Sound and i found the Marantz gave little more punch and is warmer receiver and goes great PSB Alpaha T1 speaker. The Marantz cater for people who care about sound quality, don't get me wrong about Denon great receiver and I've own one in the past no regret.
Thumbs Up on this one.

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
Hi Charles

Marantz is very good, however, I prefer Denon receivers...I have owned several Denon receivers and they are some of the best in the world...either the 2807 or the new line that will be out in 3 months should be great with a Denon DVD player. The new ones will have HDMI 1.3 and the codecs for HD DVD and Blu Ray, and maybe more new stuff...possibly a better version of the Denon version of room/speaker EQ. The 3807 may be one of the hottest receivers ever.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks