HD Football

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Michael_Victor, Jan 6, 2003.

1. Michael_Victor

Michael_Victor Stunt Coordinator

I noticed that next weeks games on CBS are going to be broadcasted in HD, my question is, which network is the superbowl on this year? The reason why I ask is that FOX does not simulcast here.

2. TheLongshot

TheLongshot Producer

ABC

Jason

3. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

Fox has no telecasts in HD in any case. So you are not missing that much.

They do, to be fair telecast digitally in 480p—and sometimes in 16:9, so it’s an improvement over analog, but it is a long way from HD.

4. MikeM

MikeM Screenwriter

Yeah, the SuperBowl will be on ABC in 720p.

It would have been great if ABC also showed the Wild Card games in HD, but no dice.

5. Michael_Victor

I wonder why ABC will not broadcast in HD.

6. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

720p is considered HDTV. Both 1080i and 720p are roughly 1 million pixels of resolution (1080i being slightly over 1 million).

7. Ken H

Ken H Stunt Coordinator

Ken
    Actually, 1080i (x1920) is 2,073,600 & 720p (x1280) is 921,600, but 720p is progressive scan. So the real difference is about 12% more info w/1080i, according to most accounts, but this is offset by no interlace artifacts.

The real thing to remember is that most displays won't do the full 1080i resolution anyway, and most don't do 720p either. In the end both 1080i & 720p will look very good with conventional consumer equipment.

1080i, 720p and the yet to be used 1080p are all HDTV formats.

The other DTV formats used are 480p EDTV (Enhanced Definition) & 480i SDTV (Standard Definition).

8. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

I was, of course, referring to the visible pixel count in my explanation between the 2 resolution formats. Thanks for the clarification. [​IMG]

9. Shawn C

Shawn C Screenwriter

QUESTION: I have a Mits. WS-55511 that has the built-in HDTV decode. It's my understanding that it won't accept a 720 signal. Does this mean that I won't be watching the SuperBowl in HD? Will my T.V. try to convert the signal to something else?

10. Bill Slack

Bill Slack Supporting Actor

Shawn:

The decoder in the TV will covnert it to 1080i for you. As long as you receive the ABC-DT signal and your affiliate passes HD programming, you're all set.

11. Dennis Reno

Dennis Reno Supporting Actor

Anyone watching the Titans/Steelers game in HD? Beautiful picture! Nothing better than football in HD!

12. JoeyPalmiotti

Man it is soooooooooooooooooooooooo nice! I love it to death! Man is it good....... ahhh [​IMG] Now i want everything in HD [​IMG]

13. Michael_Victor

AAHH!! my favorite team is playing on HD and im stuck at work for about another 45 minutes..

14. Scott DeToffol

Scott DeToffol Stunt Coordinator

The Steelers and Titans game looks amazing! This (and the Masters) is why I have HDTV. It can't even compare to the crappy AT&T cable broadcast.

15. Dennis Reno

Dennis Reno Supporting Actor

Oh yeah, the HD gods have smiled and decided to give us OT!!! What an exciting game!

Can't wait for the Oakland/NY Jets game tomorrow in all of its HD-glory :p)

16. Daren Welsh

Daren Welsh Supporting Actor

Did anyone notice the scoreboard being "wavy" at times throughout the game? It was as if the horizontal lines of resolution were shifting left and right in a slow rate down the screen (like maybe 1 or 2 Hz). It was only noticeable by looking closely at the scoreboard.

Now that Fox's game is on ... I'm noticing that it's not just a 4x3 line-doubled signal ... but then it doesn't look nearly as good as the 1080i from CBS. What are we watching? Is it zoomed and doubled?

17. VicRuiz

VicRuiz Second Unit

18. Tim Markley

Tim Markley Screenwriter

What an amazing picture during that game! That's what HDTV is all about. It almost makes watching standard television painful.

19. VicRuiz

VicRuiz Second Unit

Almost?

20. Shawn C

Shawn C Screenwriter

Man, that was amazing. Absolutely perfect. I liked how CBS did the little 'blur' effect on the sides of the screen for their non-wide-screen stuff. That's alot better than looking at the 'black-bars'. Brilliant and an awesome picture....I WON'T BE HOME TOMORROW TO WATCH THE SUNDAY GAME IN HD!!! [​IMG] [​IMG]