What's new

HD-DVD: Getting Closer (1 Viewer)

Mark Bendiksen

Screenwriter
Well, even though I do not yet have an HD-DVD player, last week I bought my first disk (Mission: Impossible III) and immediately loaned it to my pal who has an HD-A1. In return, next week he's going to loan me his player for the whole week along with all the discs he's already purchased. I have the distinct feeling that it will not be long after that I will take "the plunge". My question is this: Since the HD-A1 is being phased out they can be found on-line for pretty fantastic deals right now. Should I go that route or go straight for the HD-A2? I realize that one disadvantage with going with the HD-A2 is the lack of analog audio outs. Are there any other noteworthy pros or cons?

RobertDW

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Robert D Wehe
The HD-A2 will have faster loading/boot times and is a bit sleeker looking device. I suspect the build quality of the A1 is going to to better than the A2 but thats just a guess. Also since the A2 will have a faster drive I bet it's less prone to picture skipping/studder than the A1 is (not that I'm having those problems). You can get the HD-A1 for $420 at Amazon and they were showing stock the last time I looked. A really good hdmi receiver imo to use with either the A1 or A2 is the Panasonic SA-XR57 which goes for under $300. I have both the HD-A1 and HD-XA1 and if the coming HD-XA2 outputs 1080p/24 then I may buy that one as well.

Peter Overduin

Supporting Actor
I just bought the A1 thru Toshiba's promo where you get 3 HD movies. This is a good deal on what many on this forum consider to be a top notch up converting player and CD player as well.

I will upgrade when everything HT is HHDMI 1.3 compatible. Till then, the A1 is a solid new purchase.

Good luck.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Agreed. The A1 still is worthy of a purchase.

Don't keep putting it off! :)

Mark Bendiksen

Screenwriter
Thanks, Friends. I think I'm pretty leaning towards the A1, and I'm getting more pumped about this every day! Regarding that promo, Peter, does that apply no matter which vendor I use to purchase the player?

Peter Overduin

Supporting Actor
Mark, no it doesn't....you can get the details from their web site, and if you search a bit, there is also a thread about it on this forum. You do need to buy a new one though as you require the reciept, etc.

BrettGallman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brett
The A1 has 5.1 analog outputs, whereas the A2 does not. By default, the A1 is a better buy if you want to enjoy DD+ or TrueHD right out of the box, assuming your receiver has the corresponding inputs.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
The A1, built in Japan.

The A2, built in China.

That right there is enough reason to buy the A1. Of course you get analog outs and it is less expensive.

Mark Bendiksen

Screenwriter
I think that settles it, then.

Lower cost + analog outputs + available right now = Mark's First HD-DVD player.

Thanks for the advice and assistance, guys.

Mark Bendiksen

Screenwriter
Allrighty. Well, I have now spent almost a full week "playing" with my good friend's A1. I can honestly say it has exceeded most expectations. I've gotten to completely watch (or at least sample extensively) at least seven movies, and quite frankly I'm blown away with the picture quality (and everything else). The bad news: I have to return the player to its rightful owner tomorrow. The good news: I'm weeks away from getting my own.

Anyway, once I have my own player I'll write an "official" review to add to the ever-growing list. In the meantime, I have only a few more hours to finish watching Batman Begins again [drool] and Out of Sight. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks